Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Forgetting how to walk post-surgery  (Read 139 times)

Offline LimpingLuis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Forgetting how to walk post-surgery
« on: May 22, 2021, 03:36:33 AM »
Has this happened to anyone else? I'm 10 months post op from a lysis of adhesions surgery (which wasn't successful, my knee is still missing probably 5 degrees extension and feels stiff all the time. However I walked semi normally for years before this). I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm still on crutches. I was off crutches for the first 8 months, and I basically sat all day at my parent's place because I had a serious limp. New pt told me to go back to crutches. I think the crutches are helping, but I'm still having a hard time walking normally. Even my good leg is off, because my bad leg caused my good leg to not work properly. So I can't even stand normally on my good leg. When I look in the mirror, I have a bizarre posture, even when standing on my good leg.

Curious what you guys think
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 03:41:14 AM by LimpingLuis »

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 57
Re: Forgetting how to walk post-surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
I had similar problems after arthroscopy. Not as bad as you maybe, but still had some problems "walking normal" 6-12 months after surgery. A combination of physical (slow healing) and mental reasons (fear to reinjure) I think. I went to a physio that helped me assess and correct my "walking" and after that I gradually got back to more normal walking style :)
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support