Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: MCL question - pain continuing for weeks  (Read 117 times)

Offline heather_sea55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL question - pain continuing for weeks
« on: April 30, 2021, 02:15:59 AM »
Hello, I slipped on wet bricks, leg went out under me and I fell hard on to the inside of my right knee (EXTREMELY painful). After about a month, it was still painful so I went and had an MRI. They said it was a Grade 1 strain of the MCL and the dreaded chondromalacia (which I have on both knees, so am ignoring - anyway, it is not where the pain is).

But it has been two months now and it is STILL painful, especially at night. I wake up in pain as it stiffens up, and I can't bend or straighten it. It eases up during the day, but then the same thing happens at night. I've been doing the physio stuff and avoiding stretching and running but it still won't heal.

This doesn't seem like a Grade 1 strain to me (I snapped the ACL (Grade 3) on the left knee and that gave me LESS hassle!) Any ideas? Thanks!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: MCL question - pain continuing for weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 12:00:45 PM »
Have you discussed with a physio?

Sometimes unfortunately these injuries take much longer to heal than expected (3 months plus for many injuries which may sound minor) or are more severe than a scan suggests (my partial ligament ankle tear was much worse than the MRI suggested once I had a much more detailed CT scan and repair surgery was needed).

Can you get into a pool for hydrotherapy rehab, you can often work harder with the support of the water than on land?

If you also have arthritic changes as you say, these can cause inflammation and pain too even if mild
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:02:17 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 11
  • LK dislocation, lcl laxity, pcl torn twice,
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 08:05:27 AM »
Hi, I have to agree with vickster , the mcl can take a long time to heal after being injured, when I tore mine last time,  it took more than six months before the pain subsided, I still get twinges now in the place where it was torn.
Keep up the physio , if it doesn't get better seek a second opinion..

Good luck
LK dislocation,  cartlege trim, 20% lateral meniscus removed
Lcl laxity,  pcl tears, mcl tear

Offline heather_sea55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 11:23:47 PM »
Thank you everyone...of course, after posting this, it seems a bit better! Weirdly, running seems to help...