Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: arthrofibrosis  (Read 116 times)

Offline Jane Muller-Peterson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
arthrofibrosis
« on: April 26, 2021, 04:33:42 PM »
I have had a total knee replacement - then a revision - then a debridement surgery - each about 12 months after the one that preceded. Now, just over 3 months after my debridement surgery,  my scar tissue and accompanying pain are returning. I read an article by Keyley M. Usher and her colleagues "Pathological Mechanisms and therapeutic outlooks for Arthrofibrosis." One suggestion was to take Metformin. I wonder if a person who knows about this could elaborate on how the conclusion was arrived at, what the dose should be, and any success stories.

Offline caneguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: arthrofibrosis
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 07:13:58 PM »
Metformin for arthrofibrosis? Sometimes it is really amazing how they find new offlabel use cases for medications...
Actually I have no deep clue here, but an educated guess. Metformin may have an influence on building tissue in general. I know from one source, Metformin may have the power to help prevent cancer, thus influencing the body building cancer tissue. Though, I am not aware if there is any statistics that support this. But if Metformin has such influence on tissue building, it may also have an influence on arthrofibrosis. If you have nothing to lose, you might give it a try. But I guess this is a longterm treatment until you see any progress. I think this offlabel use of Metformin surely is very experimental.
Since 2005: wear a legbrace to keep the knee straight. I have suffered from a rare syndrome.
Around 2008: knee is now ankylosed, but not bony fusion yet
December 2009: definite, surgical knee fusion with a long nail

support