Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee worse, don't know what to do  (Read 198 times)

Offline Petal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
knee worse, don't know what to do
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
I am 48, hypermobile and for last 8 years or so have had a lot of problems with my knee.
I've had meniscus trim/repair. TTT surgery, lots of physio and was rubbing along okish.the surgeon told me I have grade 3/4 arthritis in the knee but he does not want to do a knee replacement as reckons results on hypermobile are not good. It did swell up if over did it, did ache a lot, knee cap would sometimes sublux a bit but I could rest up and it would reset to ok 

until 18th Feb when I walked a bit quicker and something went wrong.

Suddenly started having very very painful issues in the hollow behind knee-random stabbing pains for no apparent reason, swelled up and would not go down and knee cap sliding out more often (painfully)

I had a steroid injection via GP a few weeks ago and thankfully it took some of the swelling down-and he has asked for the Orthopaedic hospital to see me again.  Apparently they are still considering if they wish to see me- then there is a wait list.

I am getting worse not better. I now cannot walk or stand for more then 5 minutes without sudden extreme pain to level I cannot weight bear. It seems to happen most when fully straighten knee - I suspect I have meniscus catching in the joint but it is beyond sane levels of pain.  It calms when sit with it elevated to dull ache with swelling but I cannot just sit for months.  Pain killers do not touch the stabbing pain. 

what should I do?   I cannot afford private consult, NHS looks like being months if they agree to see me.  I am using a knee brace physio got me before but knee swells up then if feels like cutting off circulation as goes so tight so cannot use it all the time.   

I am literally afraid to leave my home as when it catches I cannot walk at all . 

I just do not know what I should do.  family say go to A&E but the locking releases after a while so don't see how that would work as there would be nothing to see

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: knee worse, don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:35:04 PM »
Still may not be an option but the private hospitals often offer payment schemes.
If you do get a private consultation, see a surgeon with an nhs practice in case you need surgery (should be able to get a referral to nhs list albeit v long waits due to Covid for non emergency). Consult a couple of hundred but major private surgery like a replacement would be 10k+
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Petal

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 12:24:39 PM »
Thank you. I have now written to two private places near me to see how much they would want for consult with scans. will just have to see what they say.

Cannot go on like this.  I have started diet, had gained during lock down so plan on losing at least 10% body weight as know being lighter will help

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
Hope you get some answers and a plan to move forwards :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone