Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Partial medial meniscectomy issues  (Read 56 times)

Offline Jayunderscorebob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial medial meniscectomy issues
« on: March 21, 2021, 07:27:11 AM »
Hi - first time post  :)

I'm a 42 yr old man and 7 weeks ago I underwent a partial medial meniscectomy.

I have OA in the medial compartment only and it was trimmed up and cleaned out. The operation was straight forward with no complications.

7 weeks later I am able to fully bend my knee for the first time in over a year. I've been doing all of the physio exercises; leg extensions, leg curls, wall squats, calf raises without any real issue.

What I'm finding is that if I spend any length of time on my feet my operated knee becomes hot, painful and swollen. It becomes painful to touch on the joint line on the inside of my knee. I can't walk for longer than 10 minutes without starting to limp. Even standing at the stove cooking a meal causes me issues.

Prior to my knee issues I was extremely active. I used to run ultra marathons and cycle in the local sportives. I spent slot of time running and riding.

I'm really struggling with how much my life has changed and feel like the operation has failed - even feels like it's made things worse.

Is this common? Should I feel an improvement 7 weeks post operative? What are my possible next options?

TIA

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Partial medial meniscectomy issues
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
You would be best advised to go back to your physio and explain the issues. Get referred back to the surgeon if they think itís needed.

However, 7 weeks post arthroscopy with menisectomy is pretty soon, recovery is likely to take 3-6 months. The biomechanics in your knee have been changed with menisectomy so your body needs to get used to it. Have you had your gait assessed, your feet? You may even need orthotics in your shoes to compensate for the change to your knee? What shoes do you wear?

How severe is the arthritis in your knee, that might be exacerbating any trauma from the surgery. Was any work done to the bone, eg shaving, even micro fracture? Those will elongate the recovery process.

Do you ice the knee regularly, especially after exercises or at the end of the day when itís inflamed? Does a compression sleeve help?

Good luck, itís likely more rest and time is needed :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:45:30 AM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up