Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Possible torn meniscus  (Read 233 times)

Offline hurtknee1991

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible torn meniscus
« on: March 17, 2021, 09:20:56 PM »
I need to run 1,5 miles in 15 min or less and a 220 yard sprint in 45 seconds or less or I'll lose my job.

I am 29 years old and haven't exercised for about 10 years. Anyway, I have to pass an acadmey with the standards above to keep my job.

I started working out about a year and a half ago, going on and off a for a couple of months. 3-4 months of running every other day doing just fine then stopping for maybe 4 months and then starting back up just by choice. No problems. I started back up around October 2020 and by mid December I was warming up and got sudden onset knee pain in my left knee. I finished stretching and went on my 1,5 mile run. It hurt bad the first quater of it then the rest of the run it was fine. When I got home it hurt pretty damn bad and I couldn't put weight on it. The next two weeks after I could barley walk on it but I managed, icing rest and elevation is what I did. I gave it about 3 weeks rest and I tried swimming and getting on an elliptical and I rehurt the injury. I decided to not do any type of exercise on it for a solid month. It slowly got better very slowly. Always just a dull pain that doesn't go away. After the month I started biking for about two weeks which didn't reallly aggravate it and it continued to heal. I decided not to do anymore excerise for two full months. So at the end of the 2 months and a week or so it slowly healed. Even the dull ache was nearly fully gone. So I decided to go on a run last Sunday. I stretched and ran a 1,5 mile with a knee brace on. Little to no pain during the run, some minor flares but overall a good solid run in terms of the pain. I got finished with the run and then it hurt real bad again. Next day I couldn't put weight on it and could barley walk in the morning, I sat in my office for about 7 hours and drove home. Once home it felt better, back to a heightened dull pain but can walk on it just fine. The next day I still have a heightened dull pain, it doesn't stop hurting like before, similar to after when I reinjured it after swimming/elliptical. It's always been hurting for months since mid December just varying pain depending on excerise or how I sit. Right now I can walk, go up stairs, get in and out of car/bed with just the heightened dull pain. It hurts but it's manageable.

So, I decided to see an orthopedic. For my left knee. I saw him today. We took xrays and he said I needed an MRI. He said either something is wrong with my knee cap or I have a torn meniscus. He said he can't know until an MRI is done.

What do you guys think? I need to complete the run and sprint requirements in about 5 months from now and I would rather not do surgery. Can I just tough it out through the pain and maybe run another 6 more months so I can pass my test to keep my job? I was thinking of just getting a cortisone shot so I can pass the test in 6 months and deal with the consequences after. I seem to be able to run, I just hurt for like 3-4 days after and I could probably do it again. I am not in great shape though and I do need to prepare myself for the run. I ran 1,5 miles in 14:40 so it needs to get better. I weigh about 220 lbs. Please any advice on my current situation would be very helpful, I can't lose my job or I am boned.

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Possible torn meniscus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:37:29 PM »
Wait to see what the scan says (although they’re not infallible for picking up meniscus tears), but plenty of people run with torn meniscus.
If your knee bends and straightens properly and doesn’t give way, isn’t grinding and is just sore, even if you have got a meniscus tear, you’d be best to stick with physiotherapy and avoid surgery, and especially removal of torn meniscus (as that will increase your risk of early onset arthritis which at 29 you really want to avoid).

You might recover sufficiently from surgery quickly enough to train for the run, but you might not (would you get longer to prepare if you have surgery, otherwise it’s a gamble), even elite athletes who are super fit and have all the best care 24/7 need a few months to recover from meniscus surgery.

I don’t know how tall you are, but losing some weight over the next few months if you need to would certainly help your knees and make it easier to run. You’re putting a lot of weight through your knees when you run (as well as going up and down stairs).

Presumably you’ve had a proper gait analysis before starting the running and are wearing good quality, suitable running shoes, with insoles if needed. If not do so before you try running again (or even fast walking).

Use other cardio low impact training like rowing, swimming, cycling to keep fit while your knee has a rest from running (treadmill running is better than pavement pounding even with the right footwear).

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline hurtknee1991

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 02:03:59 AM »
Yeah, I'll probably have an answer next week from the MRI. I won't be getting surgery for sure. I can bend and straighten, squat it doesnt give way or hurt much. It's not grinding, sometimes popping but mostly sore. What do you think about a cortisone shot even if my meniscus is torn? I wanna just though it out to be able to pass my test and then go from there. I am 5'10 and def plan on losing weight, around 180 is my goal for the test in about 5-6 months from now. I should be able to get my mile and half down to 13:30 by then hopefully. Will I eventually heal if I just take it easy after these 6 months? Given it doesn't get too much worse. I'll try swimming and biking too as well.

Thank you so much for your answer and I hope more people join the tread too, thanks again.

Offline hurtknee1991

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 03:20:42 AM »
Usually I run on the street, would running on grass be better for me?

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 441
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »
I’m not a runner (not with my knee!), but grass would be more cushioned but potentially uneven. A treadmill is cushioned and a controlled even surface and you can control your speed.

Perhaps discuss with a physiotherapist once you have a diagnosis. Also get your gait, running style and feet assessed to ensure you have the correct footwear and any pronation corrected.

With the biking, ensure the saddle height and position is optimal or you could aggravate your knees more
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support