Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Combined surgery - MPFL reconstruction, TTT and Trochleoplasty  (Read 128 times)

Offline margknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Hello everyone
I'm new to this forum but looking for advice and tips as I anticipate knee surgery next month. I am 43 years old and have patella instability in both knees - very frequent dislocation and constant subluxxing for as long as I can remember. I am scheduled for MPFL, TTT and trochleoplasty all in one operation on my right knee but have been told very little about recovery and what to expect in terms of time off work, driving, ROM etc. Can anyone who has had this operation give me any advice please? I am a mother with three school aged children and life is so busy so I need to put arrangements in place. I'm wondering if people have any practical tips on how to be prepared for surgery. Thank you so much in advance.

Offline Petal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Re: Combined surgery - MPFL reconstruction, TTT and Trochleoplasty
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 05:48:52 PM »
I had a TTT surgery a few years ago and came round to find my leg in a thigh to calf brace- fixed so would not bend.   I don't see how anyone could drive in that and it makes doing a lot of other tasks tricky as was also on crutches.  That was for 6 weeks then at end of 6 weeks was gentle physio /exercise till strength back.    Office work would be ok in the brace provided you could put your leg up to elevate and of course physically getting there would be tricky as I certainly wasn't very mobile first couple of weeks. Got better at hopping about on crutches as time went on.

Offline margknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 10:31:11 AM »
Thank you Petal for your reply. That's really helpful to know. I expect that driving might be allowed only after 12 weeks... I'm pretty nervous about the pain. Did you manage OK? How has your knee been since? I hope you are doing OK.

Offline Petal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 05:35:08 PM »
It worked very well for quite a long time. unfortunately knee currently not great but I am hypermobile which meant it was unlikely for me that it would be long term fix.

pain relief- don't worry- they send you home with very strong pain meds - take them as they do work!  and if you are still uncomfortable tell them and they will sort you out. You won't be left to struggle with pain.   My main issue was as high as a kite while on the stronger meds and a bit bored so kept buying daft things off ebay lol

try and get hold of a foot stool that will allow you to sit with your leg level with hip. It will really help with comfort and also help with any swelling.  I nicked my husbands keyboard stool as it had adjustable height and was padded so perfect. 

also have a good cull of any trip hazard items lurking round the home- you do not need clutter when on crutches.

honestly you will be fine.  I was worried but it really wasn't that bad only thing is you do need to follow the instructions carefully as it would be terrible to wreck the surgery by doing too much too soon but they will give you clear guidance on what you can and cannot do .

Offline Petal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 06:10:04 PM »
o and lay in a supply of healthy not fattening snacks. 
essential as 6 weeks of not moving much can really pile the weight on

Offline margknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 01:53:46 PM »
Hi! Thank you! Will definitely look at getting a stool/footrest. Very relieved to hear that the pain was able to be managed well. Can I ask, did you have your surgery in the US? I知 in the UK and having the surgery through the NHS. I知 not sure what the follow up care will be. We致e been in lockdown for so long and just as it痴 about to be lifted I値l be in my own lockdown! I知 sorry to hear your knee is now troubling you again. I知 also hyper mobile so this may be an issue for me. I知 hoping that having the three procedures in one will mean it lasts well.

Thank you again for your advice!

Offline Petal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »
Hi I am in the UK & had my TTT on the NHS as was the physio.  to be honest with the physio its mostly a few printed out sheets and just get on with it so as long as you behave and do it you will be fine :)   They had me in to check I was progressing as should but its not rocket science - its just get on with it lol

It is a fairly big surgery but they are doing it all the time, they know what they are doing as its pretty common and they know how to balance pain meds so you will be ok.   You will have a pretty impressive scar and its jolly awkward to sleep in the knee brace but its amazing how fast you adjust. oh and the scar does fade over time.   

large packet of wet wipes and some dry shampoo not a bad idea either as you are supposed to not get it all wet till stitches out - I did manage to shower - kept leg out of water and wrapped whole thing with cling film as a further protection but it is a bit of a game .   

try and get some slip on shoes before your surgery too - comfy ones- you won't be able to crouch down to put on more complicated ones for quite a while and its irritating having to ask other people. 

and take into hospital  a loose skirt to go home in - much easier to deal with over a knee brace then jeans- I am presuming you are female! if not really really loose jogging bottoms work. 

honestly you will be fine. its a big surgery and its not nice but its not terrible,