Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bad limp 8 months after arthroscopy/lysis of adhesions  (Read 289 times)

Offline LimpingLuis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bad limp 8 months after arthroscopy/lysis of adhesions
« on: March 11, 2021, 09:20:30 AM »
Hey guys. Ever since my surgery 8 months ago, Iíve adopted this strange gait that I canít seem to get rid of. I was waking normally for the first couple of crutch-free days. But then, I started overthinking my gait. Some of the stiffness that I had before the surgery came back (but not any worse than it had been). So I thought ďthereís no way the stiffness is backĒ and decided it must be the way Iím walking.

So I started walking in this extremely unnatural fashion. Basically I locked my entire limbs into extension, which is not how you walk. I eventually developed extreme discomfort in my good knee. I then realized I should be walking naturally instead of trying to walk in this strange manner.

But I couldnít shake the limp. And itís so abnormal. I started standing on the balls of my feet (especially on my bad leg), leaning forward. Sometimes my heels even lift off the ground when Iím standing.

The physical therapy that I had for 6 months didnít help at all. My PT suggested walking a lot more, which only seems to aggregate the limp. So Iíve been completely sedentary for 8 months at my parents place, not knowing what to do except try a new therapist whom I Iím seeing next week.

Any suggestions? Should I be using crutches or a walker to relearn proper gait? Very frustrated and confused, and Iím a knee surgery veteran (6 surgeries) too. Would greatly appreciate help

Offline minister

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Bad limp 8 months after arthroscopy/lysis of adhesions
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 12:17:49 AM »
I would tell you to go back to crutches and retrain your walking by bending and extending your knees properly. Also you can try going to a pool and walking inside re-educating the proper gait of flexion and extension of the leg, so you don't have to care about balance or falling.

One thing is sure, being sedentary for 8 months is going to harm more than helping you.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 12:19:38 AM by minister »

Offline LimpingLuis

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Bad limp 8 months after arthroscopy/lysis of adhesions
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »
I would tell you to go back to crutches and retrain your walking by bending and extending your knees properly. Also you can try going to a pool and walking inside re-educating the proper gait of flexion and extension of the leg, so you don't have to care about balance or falling.

One thing is sure, being sedentary for 8 months is going to harm more than helping you.

Thanks for your input. My new PT actually told me to go back on crutches. Itís helping but I still have a long way to go...

support