Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee bending  (Read 230 times)

Offline Ryanaldo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee bending
« on: April 26, 2021, 10:03:57 PM »
Hi there,

I had arthroscopic surgery on my cartilage behind my knee cap 8 and a half weeks ago. It became infected and a week later had an emergency op to clean inside the knee. Itís now 7 and a half weeks and now walking without crutches (although not a natural free flowing movement).

The problem and worry I have is the bending of the knee. The swelling has reduced a lot compared to what it was and I have had physio on average 3 days per week and doing exercises on my own as Ďhomeworkí

Iím in intense pain when trying to bend my knee. I feel like itís stuck and after 7 and a half weeks after the 2nd surgery Iím starting to really worry. During physio its agony. My main question is, is this normal after so long?

Thank you

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 433
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee bending
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 10:13:33 PM »
What does the physio say?
Have they consulted the surgeon for their opinion on your pain or referred you back?

Extension is more important than flexion after surgery but certainly shouldnít be agony to bend 8 weeks out.

Iím a week out of rather extension arthroscopy and although itís uncomfortable to bend to about 90 as it feels tight, Iíd not describe as agony (and Iíve had restricted ROM for about 2 years).

Are you using ice and heat regularly on the knee, the latter before the exercises to warm up the muscles and the former to address any inflammation after?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Ryanaldo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 10:24:58 PM »
The physio keeps telling me itís normal but I just have a feeling it isnít. Iím becoming worried and a little angry about it. I have also consulted the surgeon and he also says not to worry.

Iíve worked really hard on it. Icing, homework, been consistently hard working in the physio and itís still only at 90 degrees and painful when it is at that angle.

Extension isnít the best but not too bad.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 433
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 10:37:17 PM »
90 isnít too bad, especially as youíve had work done to the kneecap. Keep at it.
Realistically, arthroscopy recovery can take 6 months and thatís without complications as youíve had. Youíre probably a month behind due to the infection. See how it is in a couple more months. If the and physio surgeon arenít too worried, you shouldnít be. Recovery isnít linear and everyone recovers at a different rate. Thereís no normal.

Are you able to get into a hydrotherapy pool with a physio or if not a (not too deep) swimming pool, the water is fantastic for rehab, you can do much more with the support of water than on land

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone