Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Arthroscopy partial meniscectomy  (Read 313 times)

Offline AndreaC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Arthroscopy partial meniscectomy
« on: February 11, 2021, 02:57:35 PM »
Hello all. I had surgery yesterday and the surgeon removed 40% of the posterior horn.  What kind of recovery am I to expect. Iím 55 years of age as well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 03:03:28 PM by AndreaC »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee Arthroscopy partial meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
Medial (inside) or lateral (outside) meniscus? Was there a trauma to the knee causing the tear) Howís your knee otherwise in terms of wear and tear as degenerate posterior horn tears often seen alongside arthritis.
Itíll probably take you 3-6 months to recover. Do you have physiotherapy set up?

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline AndreaC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 03:52:06 PM »
Medial. No clue on how I got the tear. Really. Attached are his notes from surgery. I take the bandage off tomorrow that is covering most my leg

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 05:49:37 PM »
Sounds like a degenerative tear coupled with some mild arthritis in the medial compartment. Both are pretty common in middle age.
When you take the bandages off, youíll be swollen, have a couple of plasters and maybe a pink or orange leg from the antiseptic wash  ;D

I guess youíve been given post op instructions on icing after the big bandage comes off as well as about elevation and exercises?
Do you have stitches to be removed or steristrips to pull off with the plasters in a week or two?
The other thing Iíve been told (Iíve had 4 knee scopes, waiting on a 5th) is to support your leg on a pillow when elevating but under foot and calf, not under knee. It might be a bit uncomfortable but you want to keep the knee straight to encourage extension. This is more important than getting bend back quickly. If you lose extension, itíll be hard to walk without a limp :)

Youíll be sore for a week or two
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline AndreaC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:02:51 PM »
Vickster, I guess my real question is. Do you think the medicine hydrocodone they gave me is having me not feel the real pain yet?  Not knowing the pain threshold has me curious especially with the 40%of the posterior horn removed. I have some flinching pain but not a lot.  Yes, apparently I have stitches from what the description read.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 07:05:29 PM by AndreaC »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 07:30:27 PM »
Pain is very variable, some people have little, some have much more. Hydrocodone is strong so yes perhaps. Try to wean off it as the Drs instructions. Ice is good for pain relief as it reduces swelling and inflammation. 3 times a day, no more than 20 minutes with the ice pack always wrapped in a cloth to stop ice burn :)

Your knee will have been filled with local anaesthetic too, so that may be reducing the pain a bit too.

Hopefully you wonít get any severe pain but itís best to keep on top of it with the meds for the first few days at least.
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline AndreaC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 07:36:39 PM »
Iím epileptic and take meds for that. I had a reaction to the hydrocodone yesterday. Only taking Advil now. But the Anesthia is still clearing out and so is the hydrocodone Iíve already taken.  Iíve been icing

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 07:47:44 PM »
Sounds good
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline DougF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 08:02:40 PM »
I too had knee surgery for a torn meniscus.  The surgeon removed about 70% of the medial meniscus.  The horn was not affected. My surgeon said that although the ACL was frayed the knee was stable enough that I do not need surgery to reconstruct the ACL.  And he does lots of ACL reconstructions and says he can readily tell which knees need it.  I lost some strength in the knee but it has recovered.  I used to do leg extensions on a weight machine and that was useful to see the difference in strength but now with Covid the gyms have been closed since November 2020 so I can't do that.  I had the initial injury in November 2019 with a diagnosis in late January and my surgery was delayed because of Covid until July 2020. Because of the delay my symptoms had improved considerably by the time of surgery.  The surgery was a setback in that I had swelling after and was hobbling around for awhile.  I was able to return to cycling later in the month and playing beach and indoor volleyball in September and cross-country, alpine and Telemark skiing and skating this winter.  I've been using a hinged metal knee brace that was prescribed before the surgery.  I use it for the skiing and will use it for beach volleyball when that returns.  It is not because the knee feels weak or unstable but to protect against possible future injury.  I am now 68 years old.  I have some osteoarthritis in the affected knee (as I did before the injury) but it doesn't bother me that much; I am still able to do a full day of skiing with just minor pain.  Because of the arthritis, I don't run that much or do other things that are high impact but I am pleased with what I can do.  It seems that the cycling and the Telemark turns are building my quads and I hope that strong quads and flexibility and use of the brace will help me avoid further injuries.

support