Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can cartilage overgrowth be dangerous?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
Can cartilage overgrowth be dangerous?
« on: January 31, 2021, 05:43:55 AM »
I've had ACI surgery on my lesion in the MFC in March 2020 (over 10 months ago). All went really well and maybe even a bit too well now. A couple of weeks ago I developed some pressure while walking. Over the weeks this now turned into irritation. I can still do every movement but I hear some clicking and at the end of the day my knee doesn't feel that good. I noticed that the pressure is biggest at 80 / 90 degree. I am now thinking about overgrowth. Yesterday I walked with my unloader brace and then I had no discomfort at al.. I wonder if the overgrowth can damage my new cartilage or maybe the opposite site of the knee? Does it always require surgery? What is the best I can do? Or what shouldn't I do? I tried to research it but I found it hard to find good information. Thank you! :) 

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Can cartilage overgrowth be dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:16:27 AM »
This sounds like a question for your surgeon to discuss and potentially explore with a scan, check the graft and that there’s nothing else going on.

How large was the defect that was repaired? On a weight bearing surface?

Do you ice your knee at the end of the day, controlling inflammation is very important for cartilage health.
Traditional ACI (without stemcells) produces fibrocartilage (essentially scar tissue) and not hyaline, which is harder and doesn’t articulate as well, that maybe why your knee doesn’t feel completely normal, and feels better when you unload the area.
10 months is also still quite early in the recovery process, the graft won’t be fully settled (when I was discussing MACI 10 years ago, I was told a year to get back to the same state as pre op and 2 years to actually feel better.

This gives good info about the graft and the healing process

http://www.kneeclinic.info/download/CKCGHCFTCCIRehabGuide040612.pdf

But you need to talk to your surgeon about it all.

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 10:20:47 AM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 08:48:59 AM »
I had a phone call with my doctor today. MRI is going to be scheduled. He adviced to keep moving as long as it doesn't feel bad and otherwise adjust. I also started icing once a day in the evening, which really helps. It might still be a lot of things so again waiting and hoping for the best. ACI btw creates hyaline like cartilage, so it should be pretty strong if it matures the right way. It was 2 by 2 cm on a partially weight bearing surface. If I bend 80 to 90 degree I feel a lot of pressure, thats also the moment of weight bearing. 

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:51:15 AM »
Good luck  :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 10:33:03 AM »
Received my MRI result yesterday but still a bit inconclusive. It might be overgrowth but it is not clearly visible on the MRI. At least there is cartilage visable in the ACI spot. I learned from another person that it is also possible to have (partially) cartilage that is not visible on MRI (low density). Will get an appointment with my doctor soon (as this was a phone call) and decide afterwards. I really hope it is overgrowth means surgery was succesfull!! Then one key hole surgery and finished for hopefully many many years. 

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
Had my appointment last Thursday. They couldn't make it "crack" at that moment. Knee otherwise looks and feels fine. They now think the cartilage is still weak (1 year after surgery).  I still doubt it because it does crack more especially after activity, longer times in the same position and in the evening.  Got a hyaluronic injection that gave me a headache,  nausia and feverish feeling for four days...  Hope it relieves anything and then next appointment in three months.