Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Arthroscopy with Fat Pad Impingement Trimming Surgery & Recovery  (Read 2470 times)

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
  • On a mission to run again
Introduction

Hi,

My name is Ryan, I am 29 years old and I am from Adelaide, South Australia. I am a former tour guide/bar tender but now work as a web developer here in Adelaide. I have done heaps of travelling through South America and Europe and have always been a really active person, playing Basketball, Cricket, Football, Hockey and Netball through my teenage years and into my 20's (not all at the same time).

I am currently 7 weeks post operation for a fat pad impingement so I am a little late to be starting post op diaries but better late than never. I plan on firstly recounting the last 7 weeks week by week, and then continuing to update on my progress every week or so.

I am writing this to both track my recovery progress but also to help others who also have had similar surgeries.

TL;DR: Ryan, 29 from Adelaide, South Australia. Web developer and was active all through teens and 20's. Had a fat pad impingement trim surgery 7 weeks ago and now will recount last 7 weeks and continue to report how it's going.

Attached is a photo of me, pre operation but post injury, just to put a face to a name and story.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 10:54:53 AM by RyanC »
Ryan from Adelaide, South Australia
23/11/2020 - Right knee arthroscopy: Fat pad impingement trimmed and minor chondral breakdown tidied up

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
Re: Arthroscopy with Fat Pad Impingement Trimming Surgery & Recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:36:17 AM »
The Injury

In March 2020, I decided to go and try out for a new field hockey club. I had sprained my ankle badly in June 2019 playing social netball and had not done much running/exercise since. Everything was going fine during the training session until about 2/3rds of the way through when I landed, with my leg at full extension where I felt a sharp pinching sensation below my knee cap. I had no idea what it was but I went off. I did come back on the last 5 minutes of the training session where it started to hurt again.

I didn't know what I had done. I tried running on my knee 3 days later and it felt terrible. I left it for a few weeks to see if it got better but it did not. I later saw a physiotherapist where I saw him for about 10 weeks. He gave me a whole bunch of exercises to do but nothing was helping my knee. I was then referred onto a podiatrist who got me orthotics. This also didn't help so I decided to do 3 months of yoga. When this didn't help I got really frustrated and got an MRI scan. The scan came back saying there was nothing wrong so the doctor referred me to another physiotherapist. When I saw the physio, he thought that I potentially had some meniscus damage and that I should go see a surgeon. I saw the surgeon once, where he said there was some abnormalities around my lateral meniscus and he recommended surgery.

TL;DR: Hockey training. Landed while running in full extension and felt a pinch under my right kneecap. Did 10 weeks of physio, got orthotics and did 3 months of yoga, nothing helped. Saw a surgeon, recommended surgery - potential abnormality with lateral menuscus.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:54:44 AM by RyanC »
23/11/2020 - Right knee arthroscopy: Fat pad impingement trimmed and minor chondral breakdown tidied up

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 11:44:37 AM »
The Surgery

The surgery was an arthroscopy. It took place on the 23rd of November, 2020. Initially it was cancelled because my state went into a COVID-19 lockdown but it was later put back on. I didn't know that I had a fat pad impingement prior to surgery, I thought that I was having my meniscus repaired.

The surgery took about 30 minutes. After it was done, the surgeon told me it was a fat pad impingement and that I should be all good in 2-3 weeks, I now know that is a ridiculous timeline for a recovery from a surgery like this, especially on a fat pad. I stayed overnight in the hospital.

TL;DR: Right knee arthroscopy with a fat pad impingement trim. Surgeon told me after it was a 2-3 week revovery.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:55:12 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »
Week One

I could walk on my leg only hours after my surgery, although it was just me hobbling to the toilet and back. The hospital staff gave me regular pain medication and about 12 hours after the surgery they gave me an ice pack. I had three incisions, all of which had bandages on them and they put a waterproof film over the top. I stayed in hospital overnight and was sent home in the morning with a script for some pain meds and some basic physio exercises. The exercises included:
  • Sitting down and bending my leg towards my chest
  • Sitting down and lifting my straightened leg
  • Lying down with a towel under my knee and straightening my knee

The first three days I did not do much at all. I followed the doctors advice just to take it as easy as possible and kept my leg elevated. My knee was just achy and sore and I couldn't do much at all.

On day four, I decided to give driving a go. Even though my knee was sore, I felt as if I could perform the emergency brake if I needed to. I jumped in my car and drove around the block and it was fine. I also starting working again from home on day 5 of recovery.

I spent most of this week just on the couch. After driving and walking a little bit on day 5 my knee was so sore, just really achy. Basically after week 1, the swelling in my knee did start to subside a little but it was still very much in the early stages and was still very sore. I changed the dressing on my incisions multiple times and was performing the physio exercises multiple times a day, even they were quite painful to do.

TL;DR: Could walk straight after surgery. Had basic physio exercises to do. Lots of icing and put on pain meds. Most of week resting with leg elevated. Started driving again day 4. Working from home day 5. Knee was getting achy and sore after being on it too much.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:55:29 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:04:40 AM »
Week Two

I did quite a bit more walking this week. Not so much because I went for walks around the block, just because I started to get back on my feet more. I moved back into my house after staying with my parents for the first week. This meant that I had to be on my feet to cook, clean etc. I have a supermarket only about 50 metres away from my house, I started walking there and back to get supplies. Looking back on my fitbit, I was doing an average of 6000 steps per day. My knee did get sore though, not the pain I used to get from the impingement, just like an inflamed and achy pain, especially if I had been on my feet for an hour or so.

I do remember one of those days later during week two that my knee was feeling quite good. I walked around the block and couldn't believe that it felt so good so soon after surgery. I got pretty confident and asked my friend if he wanted to go for a short beach walk and get dinner that night. That was a really bad idea, about 1 minutes into walking along the beach I knew I should be resting my knee, it didnt feel as good as it did earlier in the day. I remember that night it felt really achy and painful and knew I still very much had to take it easy. I was a little disappointed as the surgeon told me 2-3 weeks and I'd be fine.

TL;DR: More walking - average 6k steps/day. Knee still getting sore and achy after an hour or so on feet. Later in the week I had a good walk with minimal pain around the block, but then pushed it too far and it got sore. Bit disappointed that knee wasn't recovering as quickly as I wanted it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:55:43 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:39:30 AM »
Side Note - Recovery Time

I really wish my surgeon told me realistic expectations for the recovery period. When I first came out of the surgery, the surgeon told me that I should be good to go in 2-3 weeks. I now know that that is an absolutely ridiculous timeline. When I saw him for the 2 week post op appointment, he told me to give it another 4 weeks to settle. At the 6 week post op appointment, he told me that these things take 3-5 months. I didn't really know what to believe so I started doing some research online. From what I can see, fat pads can be a pain, and many people go through 'cycles' where the knee starts to feel better, they start using it more and then it flares up, which can go on for months. From what it looks like, a fat pad surgery generally takes 6 months to full recovery, where the first 2-3 month being the worst. I have seen cases where it took 18 months to recover but none where it was 6 weeks or less. But yes I am sure the surgeon knew that recovery could take this long and I wish I knew the realistic expectations going into the recovery so I wasn't so devastated every time a milestone came around where I thought I should be better and running again.

TL;DR: Surgeon told me 2-3 weeks for recovery, that is ridiculous. After a lot of research, looks like fat pad clean up surgery takes around 6 months to recover, many times longer, with first 2-3 months them being pretty irritable. Wish the surgeon gave me realistic timeframes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:55:58 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
Week Three

Two and a bit weeks after the surgery, I saw my surgeon for the routine 2 week post op appointment. There he removed my bandages and checked up on how I was going. I told him things were going OK but things were very much still inflamed. At this point, I was expecting to feel close to 100% better as he told me I should be good to go in 2-3 weeks. At this point, he told me to give it another 4 weeks and check back in.

That week I saw a lot of improvements. I started to walk more, mainly around the block a few times a day and early in the week I was doing about 8k steps per day. I had a Christmas work function where I dressed up and put my no so cushiony boots on. I did limp around a little that day, and it didn't help that I had to go up and down a few times. I woke up the next morning and my knee felt fine to my surprise. I then got a bit more confident and had a day where I did 14k steps and the knee felt fine. I couldn't believe it, maybe the surgeon was right about the 2-3 week timeline. I even rang my parents, almost in tears, telling them that my knee was going to be fine! The following day I did another 12k steps. I woke up the next day and my knee was a bit sore. I didn't think too much of it and had another big day on my feet. It was becoming obvious throughout that day and the day after that I had pushed my knee way too hard. At the time of writing this (7.5 weeks post op), my knee hasn't felt as good as it did at the 3 weeks post op mark. At 3 weeks, I actually got to the point where I was thinking, 'well if this is as good as my knee gets then I am satisfied with it'. I could just live my day to day without pain. I felt like I wouldn't be able to run but I was in no pain (and taking no painkillers at the time).

So yeah, I had pushed it too hard and I had my first flare up of the knee. I'll leave the 'trying to get the flare up under control' part for next week as most of that happened in week 4.

Added note: I also saw the physio for the first time post op (my physio and not the physio that comes and sees you after the surgery). He said he had seen many fat pat impingement surgeries and we needed to have a focus on building quad strength (and other muscles). The exercises he gave me were:
  • Seated on a table with my leg dangling and a 2kg weight on it, extend my leg into full extension - repeat 3 times for 60 seconds
  • Sitting on the floor against the wall with my good leg bent and bad on extended, lift my bad leg up and down with 2kg weight - repeat 3 times for 30 seconds
  • Ones where I am on my side, and lift extended leg with 2kg weight - repeat 3 times for 30 seconds
  • Ones where I hold a slightly deflated soccer ball between my legs - repeat 3 times for 30 seconds

TL;DR: Saw my surgeon, he told me to give it 4 more weeks to settle and check back in. Saw many improvements this week. Doing 8k steps a day. Got more confident later in the week - was doing 14k steps a day and was feeling great - not 100% but could walk without pain. Then had my first flare up, started to limp again and knee felt hot, agitated and inflamed. As of now (7.5 weeks post op), my knee hasn't felt as good as at 3 weeks. Also saw the physio, he wants me to work on my quad strength.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:56:24 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
Re: Fat Pad Impingement Surgery and Recovery
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 09:08:32 AM »
Week Four

So as mentioned I had flared up my knee. My knee was visually more swollen, it was hot and just really agitated. I got to a point where I had to limp around a bit which I hadn't done for weeks. I knew that I just had to take it easy so thats what I did. I spent most of the week on the couch watching TV, icing it as much as possible and just generally resting. There isn't much more to report for this week other than I just rested. It took a solid week for it to begin to start to settle. By the end of this week, it was still nowhere near what it was at 3.5 weeks and I was starting to get pretty down about it, especially as 1 week prior I thought my knee was a couple of weeks away from starting to run again.

Note: I am trying to recount what happened as best as possible, but I am writing this as of 7.5 weeks post op. Some of the end of week three actually happened in week 4 I think. I believe it was about 3.5 weeks, so in week 4, that my knee started to feel really good and I had my first flare up.

TL;DR: Was trying to get my flare up under control. Lots of rest and icing. After this week, it has settled somewhat, but no where near as good as it was the week prior.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:09:42 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
Week Five

At the start of this week my knee was still a bit agitated but getting better. I think it really started to feel significantly better about half way through this week, but still nowhere near as good as 3.5 weeks post op. I started walking around the block again and things were feeling OK. Again I started to get quite confident on my knee again. I actually went to a party one night and ended up doing 17k steps in one night, at one stage I was dancing on the dance floor. My knee was feeling OK but by the end of the night it was really sore, just achy and swollen. I woke up the next day and it didn't feel too bad but not quite right. That week I had also started going for bike rides. My physio had advised me that I should only do rides for 30 or so minutes but I was going for hour and a half rides. Basically this is when my second flare up happened! I have only got myself to blame as I was going so hard. On New Years Eve I had already planned a bike ride with a friend and then was having some people over my house for some drinks and celebrations. I basically planned to just try and get through that night and rest my knee in the new year.

The weirdest thing happened though, after going for a big bike ride and being on my feet all night my knee felt really good.. I woke up on New Years Day and my knee felt great. I couldn't really work this out as I had pushed it so hard. This is the end of this week but Ill continue for week 6!

TL;DR: Knee started feeling better, but not as good as 3.5 weeks post op. Went to a party and did 17k steps in one day - achy and swollen afterwards, regretted it. Started bike riding as suggested by the physio. Went for a ride on new years eve and was on my feet all night, actually felt better after that? Very strange. Plan on resting knee in the new year.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:14:34 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 10:07:16 AM »
Week Six

I still can't really work out why my knee felt so good after new year, I have a feeling I might have 'loosened' the scar tissue up a bit and warmed it up so it felt OK. I did end up taking it easy for the next couple of days and thats when it became obvious I was going through another flare up. Again, my knee was agitated, hot and achy. I was seeing both my physio and surgeon on the same day early this week. I saw the physio first, he could sense my frustration. He said that the surgeon might opt for a cortisone injection to help calm things down. He gave me a few extra exercises to do this time he gave me:
  • Glute bridges where my heels started on a chair
  • These exersises where I put one foot forward and the other foot on a chair behind me. With the front foot slightly bent, I moved a weight from side to side

I asked my physio about fat pad taping and fat pad massage. He seemed to be against both but said we could give the massage a go next time.

I also saw the surgeon. I went in and explained to him what had gone on. He seemed a bit disinterested and didn't have any answers or suggestions for me. I asked about the cortisone injection but he said he didn't recommend it and that it wouldn't shorten the recovery time at all. He then told me that these things take 3 to 5 months to recover and that most people see a 50% improvement in their original symptoms and that I just had an 'irritable' knee that I would have to live with. He ended up giving me some anti inflammatories (Celecoxib - I have a sensitive stomach) and told me to take them 'when required'. I was starting to get pretty annoyed in the appointment, especially as he told me that I should be good to go in 2-3 weeks. I asked him what happens if my knee is still no good in 5 months time? Do I just have to live with a crappy knee for my entire life? He responded by saying that if my knee was not good in 6 months time, that he could do the surgery again, but he would 'alter the healing process' basically by using cortisone injections during the recovery period. I was not happy to hear this.

I left the surgeons office pretty upset. I ended up calling my mum and just broke down crying saying that my knee was no good and I would essentially be disabled for life. Everywhere that I read, arthroscopies take 6 weeks to recover from. I felt like I just just left with a knee that was worst that before the operation.

That is when I started to go down a bit of a rabbit hole on the internet about fat pad impingements. From what I could see, the surgeries were rarely successful and that many people ended up with worse knees post op and wished they'd never got the surgery. After I read Clarkeys post op discussion, I felt kind of depressed. He said it took about 18 months to get back into running. At this point I was 1.5 months post op... so did that mean I had another 16.5 months of recovery to go? I felt super down and depressed for a couple of days.

After doing some more research I found this article. Its from a medical journal and it tracked the recover of 34 patients that had a resection of their fat pad.

https://www.arthroscopyjournal.org/article/S0749-8063(07)00590-7/fulltext#back-bib4

It said that 30 out of 34 people recovered to their pre-injury status. I couldn't believe it as I felt like this surgery almost always failed. I then started finding a bit more information on realistic timelines. It looks recovery periods for fat pad impingements are around 6 months, where the first 3 or so months they are pretty irritable. This gave me some relief that all that money I spent and pain I am going through might be worth it!

TL;DR: Was clear I was having a second flare up and was getting agitated that my knee wasn't healing. Saw the physio and surgeon on the same day. Got some new exercises from the physio. Saw the surgeon, thought I might be getting a cortisone injection, he recommended against it. Was getting pretty annoyed at the surgeon as knee was not healing. Said I just had an irritable knee. Started feeling down about it and went down a rabbit hole on the internet, seemed like fat pad impingement surgery never worked, sometimes made things worse. Finally found the right info about realistic expectations for a surgery like this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:18:51 AM by RyanC »

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:50:49 AM »
Week Seven

After I saw the surgeon the previous week, I had been taking the anti-inflammatories every day (1-2 times a day) and was icing my knee religiously. I was sometimes icing my knee up to 15 times a day. If I was just sitting on the couch I would ice my knee for 20 minutes. If I was working from home and had a moment, I'd grab the icepack and ice my knee. I also tried ice massaging. This is basically where you have an ice cube, and massage the ice cube into the fat pad area. I felt this agitated the fat pad slightly, but was also good for it, so I would do it and then do regular icing afterwards. I stopped walking around the block, or doing any unnecessary walking at the start of this week and also stopped bike riding to try and settle my knee. Things did seem to get better but I was wary of pushing to too hard again and having another flare up.

A strange thing happened at the start of this week as well. On Saturday Night, when I at a friend's party, I felt the part below my knee get caught and then it almost popped back into place. It continued to do that and was causing some pain on the medial side of my knee. Also, I was starting to get pain below my knee cap when I did the leg extension exercises I was given by my physio. I had a chat with my physio and he didn't diagnose me with anything but he said this is really common, especially when the quads start to get weaker after surgery. I told him I had been working on my quads but they just didn't seemed to be getting any stronger, if anything, they were getting weaker! He gave me a few suggestions on what I should try to strengthen my quads:

• Bike rides - 3 times per week for no more than 1 hour on the flat - good thing Adelaide is a flat city!
  • Continue with current quad exercises
  • Get a balance foam mat - Balance on bad leg and have it slightly bent, extend good leg out front, then to the side, then back. Also incorporate circle motion with good leg.

The last exercise is really good and I feel like I am getting a good full leg workout from it. That's all for this week, and I have now completely caught up. Check back in in a week's time for the week 8 update.

TL;DR: Lots of icing, up to 15 times a day and taking anti-inflammatories, seems to be helping settle the knee. Now getting catching and popping, that wasn't there pre or post surgery but physio isn't too concerned about it but says probably due to weak quads. He has given my more quad exercises to do which seem to be helping. Now caught up so next post will be in 1 week.

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 04:59:58 AM »
Side Note - My Irritable Knee

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have been icing my knee religiously and taking anti-inflammatories twice a day. I had such a great day yesterday on my knee. I woke up and was getting ready for work and the knee felt great. I felt the outside of my knee and it wasn't hot and didn't feel inflamed. I work a desk job but I did go for a few walks around the building as I usually do to keep myself sane. I also went for a very short walk around the block and ended up with 8000 steps for the day. My knee felt like it felt 3.5 weeks after surgery (it was feeling great then). I did my rehab exercises as usual and iced my knee probably 5 times last night. I woke up this morning and my knee was just feeling pretty crappy. I played golf with my parents today (they walked the course and I hired a golf cart). It just felt inflamed and achy and sore. It was really disappointing as yesterday was really good. I feel overall my knee is starting to improve, I just feel the threshold for it flaming up is really low. I guess it's just super frustrating!

I feel like sometimes I do the same amount of activity as yesterday and my knee doesn't flare up and then sometimes it does. Hopefully it starts to settle quickly!

TL;DR: Knee was feeling as good if not better than 3.5 weeks post surgery. Did 8k steps, which is quite normal for me and now feels inflamed. Cannot work this knee out!

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 07:17:32 AM »
Week Eight

This week has been up and down. I think 3 out of the 7 days of this week my knee has been feeling really good, at times almost feeling 100%, but then, after doing a little too much walking or pushing myself a little too hard with the rehab, it will flare up and feel bad. It is so frustrating really, I sort of get these glimmers of hope, and then it just knocks me down when my knee is feeling irritated again.

Warning: Emotional Rant
This knee injury is just really holding my life back. I spend quite a lot of time at home on the couch, icing my knee and watching TV. There are so many things that I want to do but just cannot. I have been able to bike ride but I can run or play any sports. I really want to get back into the dating scene after a break up mid last year but I am kind of thinking what is the point. Normally when relationships start, you are just going for hikes, beach walks, exploring etc, I just cannot do anything. There has been an opportunity at work for me to join the innovation team for 3 months but I had to turn this down as they are constantly out of office, meeting with people, even sometimes travelling around Australia, my knee would simply not be able to handle this. I feel really disabled and just overall frustrated that things aren't getting better.

As mentioned, it was feeling good, then flares up. It doesn't seem to take much to flare it up and sometimes it is quite random. One day it might be feeling great, and then I do 8k steps on it (out of necessity - going to the shops, going to work etc), and this won't flare it up, and then the next day I'll do 4k steps, a little rehab and it will flare it up. I have been trying to take it easy and ice it as much as possible which seems to help but I just don't know if things are getting better... this waiting game to see if it might get better in 2, 3, 4, 5 months is just killing me!!

On another note, I feel like my overall health is deteriorating as a result of my knee problems. I just feel weaker overall and have less energy. I think this is because I am not exercising much. Post injury but pre op I used to be able to go rock climbing and do yoga, I just cant do those things anymore either..

TL;DR:
Knee has been up and down. Three days this week it has felt good, almost 100% but have had another flare up. Seems like minimal time on feet will flare up my knee. Had an emotional rant you can read :-[ and just generally feeling down about my knee and whether it will recover.

Offline RyanC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »
Side Note - My Symptoms

The surgeon says I have atypical symptoms for a fat pad impingement. When I injured it originally, I felt a 'pinch' below my kneecap on the right side. This pain then seems to move across to the lateral side of the knee, where the femur meets the tibia, just above that boney 'notch' on the outside of the leg - I think thats the fibula? The pain, pre operation was a sharpish but also dull pain which seemed to be quite localised.

From the arthroscopy, there was nothing wrong except for a fat pad impingement on the lateral side. As the hospital physio kept saying 'you have a perfect knee'.. Things have settled from the arthroscopy, as in my incisions don't hurt anymore, general surgery swelling has gone down, but I am left with this irritable fat pad. When the fat pad does get inflamed, the outer side, below my kneecap gets quite hot. The weird thing is, I get almost all of my pain in that same area on the lateral side. Sometimes the pain shoots down that tendon that is on the outside of the lower leg. The pain is now more 'spread out' and not localised as it was pre operation.

The symptoms are so weird and are really not consistent with those online. It kind of makes me question my diagnosis, but the reality is I have not responded to conservative treatments, and the only thing the surgeon could find was a fat pad impingement, other than that, I have a 'perfect knee'

I am adding an image. The RED area is where it gets hot when the fat pad gets irritated. The BLUE circle is the area where I get the pain and the arrow is where it shoots down.

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 444
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 08:33:27 AM »
Have you considered that you might be icing the knee too much and causing irritation to the tissues and nerves?
Usually the advice at least post injury or post op is 2-3 times a day and never more than 20 minutes at a time (with ice pack wrapped in a cloth to protect the skin). You say you have no more swelling, maybe give the icing a rest for a few weeks?

Have you sorted your footwear out yet?

Not sure which tendon you mean on the outside of the leg, perhaps you mean the ITB? Has the physio checked for irritation/tightness?

Exercise wide, have you tried swimming, excellent cardio and full body workout with no impact on knees.  And do some hydrotherapy exercises like pool walking while in there

What physio type rehab exercises do you do? Stretching? If you’re lying or worse sitting around all day, perhaps your back is grumbling which can also impact your legs.

Maybe the discomfort is nothing to do with your fat pad but referred from another structure?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone