Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain behind knee  (Read 847 times)

Offline ladyduran

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Pain behind knee
« on: January 11, 2021, 10:32:37 PM »
I am having trouble with my left knee. Pain at back of my knee after sitting down and while going up or down stairs. Any ideas what this could be?

I had a microfracture on my right knee November 2019 which has also started hurting again.

I will go to the doctors when I can but with covid i don't want to bother them at the moment

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 454
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Pain behind knee
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
You might find some useful info here
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/ebooks/pain-back-knee

In the meantime, perhaps you could consult a physio? Private ones are still offering appointments, usually virtual in the first instance

Also try gentle stretches /physio exercises, you may just be out of condition
 and ice
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline StarKelly01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
My mother in law is awaiting surgery for her knees and has been in a lot of pain constantly. She started taking these turmeric tablets which she says has taken the edge of the pain especially at night - from a company called Future You https://futureyouhealth.com/. She doesn't have to take as many painkillers now so might b worth a try?

Offline MrsKoz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 06:20:04 PM »
I am having trouble with my left knee. Pain at back of my knee after sitting down and while going up or down stairs. Any ideas what this could be?

I had a microfracture on my right knee November 2019 which has also started hurting again.

I will go to the doctors when I can but with covid i don't want to bother them at the moment

Sorry to hear that.  It might be that you have perhaps been overcompensating on your 'good leg' due to the difficulty with your damaged leg?  The turmeric suggestion is good - i also take turmeric tablets and also dump a half teaspoon of powder into my coffee in the morning!  My surgeon said there's no real evidence to suggest it works but it can't do any harm.

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 07:43:49 PM »
This sounds like patellofemoral syndrome.  Degeneration of the back of the patella (or kneecap).  Difficulty w/ stairs, pain after sitting, and trouble getting up are hallmark signs.

Unfortunately, the cycle goes something like this

Pain--->quad atrophy--->more pain

Would advise physio to help build the quad.  Terminal knee extensions are the safest and most effective way to build quad in presence of patellofemoral pain.  Should also utilize an elliptical as bike riding is a no-no for PFPS (bike riding better for tibial-femoral pain which is by far the much more common osteoarthritis).  Applying BFR bands before using an elliptical increases metabolic stress and type 2 muscle activation- which should help accelerate quad recovery.

More Muscle--->absorbs joint impact--->less pain (and better function)

Build the quad!!!