Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: my quads are still weak a year after partial menisectomy  (Read 147 times)

Offline Hashem Hashem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
my quads are still weak a year after partial menisectomy
« on: December 25, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »
Hi everybody ...
I did partial meniscectomy for a meniscus tear rt knee a year ago for catching and pain problems. however, my quadriceps are still weak and I'm 29 !!! I'm not sporty and they were even weak a little bit before the surgery. i did pt for 2 months . my knee buckles when i twist it , while walking, and even when going down stairs. my normal gait is not normal " limp " coz i can't bend very well since it pops " buckles " >> is it the quadriceps causing the whole problem ? the mcl ?
 i  did another MRI which show mcl sprain and meniscus tear at the same place.the surgeon told me it is the place where he trimmed the tear ...can anybody help me ? I'm down in the dumps !!!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
Re: my quads are still weak a year after partial menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 11:23:42 PM »
What physio exercises are you doing to build them up? Riding a bicycle otherwise is very good for building quads, but youíll need to find other exercises to work on the muscles cycling doesnít challenge to avoid imbalance.

2 months of physio isnít long enough if things arenít back to pre op, keep on doing it daily for good.  Go back to the Pt if needed and get reassessed and new exercises, both for land and also pool, being in the water enables you to work the muscles harder than on land.

What symptoms do you have from the new meniscus tear, itís not unusual to retear unfortunately, especially if the tissue is degenerate (although you are on the young side)?
If you donít have locking, itís best not to have more surgery given your age and the higher likelihood of arthritis following menisectomy.

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Hashem Hashem

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:23:40 AM »
thanks Victor ...
the buckling symptoms started on the 10th day after surgery when I was even unable to walk. I haven't had a new injury since the surgery. I doubt the existence of a new tear since I don't have the same symptoms as before .just the buckling, weakness and stiff knee. NO locking ! Again the surgeon told me the surgical changes mimic a meniscus tear since the MRI was done without IV contrast. What do you think ?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:28:58 AM by Hashem Hashem »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 411
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
Iíd go back to physio and work at it for 6 months and add other activities into your day, walking, cycling, swimming.

You might be having pseudo rather than actual buckling, maybe a knee support would help, ask the physio for recommendations.

If still concerned in 6 months after strengthening, perhaps get a second opinion.

If the meniscus is degenerate, you donít need any trauma to tear it, you can do it turning over in bed or in a similarly innocuous way!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 03:16:53 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support