Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: How long until patella fracture fully healed?  (Read 180 times)

Offline nosher1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
How long until patella fracture fully healed?
« on: December 22, 2020, 10:50:05 PM »
Hi,
I shattered my right patella into 5 pieces in a car accident almost exactly one year ago.  Because the pieces were close together, I was advised to not have surgery and let it heal on its own.  Overall, my life is normal now and my knee feels OK, but it does sometimes feel a little bit sore if I sit for a very long time (a few hours) or if I walk much farther than usual.  It also hurts a tiny bit when walking stairs.  It also still feels a bit tight much of the time.  Occasionally when laying in bed with my knee bent, it aches a tiny bit.  I was wondering how long it takes to get to the point where there isn't going to be any further improvement.  A few years ago, I broke my finger (mallet finger injury), and an orthopedist told me that any pain I still had after 1 year of healing was probably going to be the pain I would be stuck with for the rest of my life.  After one year, my finger still hurt a little bit.  It actually took a full 18 months for the pain to totally go away.  And it hasn't hurt at all since then.  So, I'm wondering, is the same thing true for my patella?  Is 18 months possibly the mark where you are as good as you are going to get? 
Thanks!