Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hamstrings and knee tracking?  (Read 164 times)

Offline marc__

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hamstrings and knee tracking?
« on: May 22, 2021, 07:52:09 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm having a bit of a patellar tendon problem (at least that's what I think it is). About 6 weeks back I started getting a knee tracking issue - my kneecap was catching out the outside of my knee when extending some of the time. Now I can't extend my knee without pain below my kneecap, and my knee hasn't been catching as much because I've been keeping it in a bent position. I'm hoping to solve the tracking problem by strengthening my glutes and stretching some of the muscles around my knee - it'll probably take a few weeks yet before I see any results from the exercises. I've started doing hip thrusts, monster walks, and triplanar toe taps as well as a few stretches.

Today I was doing a hamstring stretch (just palms to floor and straightening my leg) and I was able to extend my knee to straight without any pain at all whilst in the stretch- just a bit of tightness since the issue has caused some minor swelling in my knee. When I came out of the stretch and tried straightening my knee standing up it was sore again when trying to extend. I was thinking that tight hamstrings may be playing a part in my knee issue. My knee feels perfectly fine doing deep flexion exercises and they feel normal going up stairs etc - it's only when straightening that the problems occur. Any opinions would be much appreciated!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Hamstrings and knee tracking?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 10:57:16 PM »
Have you consulted a physio?  Given itís ongoing and you donít want to cause more harm if you donít have a diagnosis
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 11:00:14 PM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline marc__

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »
Have you consulted a physio?  Given itís ongoing and you donít want to cause more harm if you donít have a diagnosis

I've had a fair few injuries in the past and physio's haven't really helped a great deal. I'm planning on going to one anyway if it doesn't get better by the end of the week. Thanks for your reply!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 424
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 09:27:09 AM »
Find a good sports physio whoís focused on whatever sport you do (as well as knees, notably patellofemoral issues)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 09:34:17 AM by vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

support