Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post ACL reconstruction problems  (Read 178 times)

Offline Nicolas_

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Post ACL reconstruction problems
« on: December 20, 2020, 12:06:52 PM »
Hello,

my name is Nicolas I'm 23 years old and I've tore my acl in June 2020. In July I had ACL reconstruction surgery. After that I've been training my ROM and muscle strength daily for about 2-3 hours + physical therapy. Unfortanetuly I was only able to achieve flexion of 100 degrees and there was lack of extension. Because of that in November I had a scar tissue removal surgery. Right now - over 1 month post op my flexion is still the same but extension is a little bit better, still not full and no hyperextension (despite all the training and rehabiliation which I did a lot).

I'm gonna see my doctor soon but I wanted to ask you if anyone had been in a similar situation or might have any idea what is wrong with my knee and would like to share their knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 12:10:22 PM by Nicolas_ »

Offline RenatoSN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Post ACL reconstruction problems
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »
Hello,

I am 27 years old and had ACL reconstruction on my left knee in 2008 and on my right knee in 2013.
My left knee is perfect, never felt much pain, even when I injured actually and have full mobility.
The other knee was different. felt a lot of pain and lost ROM since i hurt it.  Recovery was very painful and really hard to restablish movement. The doctor just said that each recovery is different (was the same doctor both operations). After a some months phisiotherapy and a lot of pain forcing the leg to bend I`ve reached an ok ROM (I could walk, sit and do almost anything with no pain) I used to weight lift before injury and continued after, as the doctor recommended also and reached to a point where I could do bar squats normally with no pain. Although my knee still felt stiff like a mechanism without oil I could forced it to bend until my anckle almost touch my butt.

In all those years I've noticed that if I stay without moving my leg for some hours it hurts to extend it back and to flex it too.
If i force too much it hurts the next day also. I was living with it until some days ago after I spent some days mostly sitted working, didnt stretch or made any exercise exept walking and woke up with pain on my knee and loss of ROM (less of what i could do before) and decided to go cycling ( i used to cycle once or twice a week with no pain). This time i went further than ever and when i started to go back my quad started to hurt and my knee also a little. When i got home i got so frustrated seeing the how it is so hard to gain mobility back and how easy it is to lose again. So I decided that i wanted to go to the doctor to see my knee again if there is something that can be done and started researching. I finally discovered a condition that explains exactly what i feel. The name is arthrofibrosis. It is scartissue in excess created after surgery. It causes loss of ROM and pain to move the knee in some cases.

I am reading about it and I am anxious to go to a doctor, make exams and know if surgery would treat it.

As you asked, i recommend you to keep stretching and exercising many times a day. If it is swollen and hurts puts a lot of ice on it. You should avoid inflamation at all costs since it triggers creation of scar tissue. I think you can still gain movement since your surgery was just a month ago. So keep your head up and keep treating.

Please update afterter you went to your doctor.
I am very interested to know about the recovery and success of scar tissue surgery since i may have to do it also.

Offline RenatoSN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Post ACL reconstruction problems
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 06:00:13 PM »
This video explains the condition very well:

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/videos/what-arthrofibrosis

I've found in the arthrofibrosis section of this forum.
You could get more information there too.

support