Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: It continues patella tendon now. PCL  (Read 72 times)

Offline Leigh78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
It continues patella tendon now. PCL
« on: November 21, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
Hello all.
I hope everyone is doing OK.
I apologise if this turns into a long post
So 19th September 2019 I slipped down 1 step and ruptured my patella tendon. This wasn't discovered until 8 days later (in those 8 days yes I had some pain, swelling and bruising but, was able to do things) .
I had surgery and my recovery seemed to go well.
Locked brace for 10 weeks then increasing ROM in brace for another 8 weeks. Didn't actually start any PT until 22 weeks PO that's when the problems started. Pain, swelling and bruising (didn't help it was all fine over the phone!) . I fought to see the consultant again (tough due to covid).. 10 weeks ago I had a positive lachman test, MRI scan.
Got results yesterday and ACL fine but, have damaged cartilage and a pulled PCL.. Now have to wait for more PT as. This I know may be a while... What can I do in the mean time. Any support recommendations (knee gives out regular) thanks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:44:14 AM by Leigh78 »

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: It continues patella tendon now. PCL
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »
When you say damaged cartilage, do you mean the articular cartilage on the bones or the meniscus cartilage?

If the knee gives out, perhaps you need a brace, ask the PT for advice. You donít want that happening if at all possible as you could be doing further damage to the bone surfaces and other structures in the knee.

Do you have access to a pool (donít know which country you are in and any lockdown) - doing gentle hydrotherapy might be kinder to the knee than lots of land based exercises?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Leigh78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: It continues patella tendon now. PCL
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 03:38:39 PM »
Hi, to be honest not sure regarding cartilage. Hoping I'll be clearer when get report.
I asked about support/brace and consultant didn't want to give me anything as feels would put my patella recovery back. Although I told him that I have fallen a number off times and knee buckles on a daily basis...

support