Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please help me with recovery  (Read 605 times)

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Please help me with recovery
« on: November 10, 2020, 06:02:59 PM »
Please can someone help me with my recovery after TTT. I am 5 weeks out and can now remove my brace and bear weight. My knee is still swollen and I canít bend it hardly at all. How am I going to get my knee moving at all? Iím so scared I wonít get my knee motion back and want to get it moving ASAP. Please can someone help me and tell me what to do or if this is normal.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 444
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Please help me with recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
Are you seeing a physio? Whatís the surgeonís rehab protocol? Do you have any exercises to do?

If the knee is swollen, are you elevating (above heart if at all possible) and icing regularly (you might find a cryocuff a good investment)?  Are you using any anti inflammatory med for the swelling?

Have you had follow up with the surgeon, what is his or her view on your recovery?

Do you have extension if not flexion? Thatís actually more important for recovery especially walking :)

You are still very early after a major and traumatic surgery, you should probably measure your recovery in multiple months rather than weeks (and itíll even take a year, see as a marathon not a sprint), so what you are experiencing is almost certainly normal

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffaís fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 08:25:47 PM »
I have asthma so canít have any anti inflammatory and Iíve been off any pain killers at all for the last 3 weeks. I havenít been icing my knee or elevating but I am now going to try that as everyone seems to be telling me this is the way forward.

Iíve seen my surgeon and he said it is all brilliant and I can bear as much weight as is comfortable for me and I need to get my knee moving now and take off my brace. I donít have an appointment with my physio yet but I feel like if I leave it and keep not using my leg by the time I get to physio it may be even stiffer. My leg has been kept completely straight for the last 5 weeks so I have a straight leg but now want to bend it but donít know how to go about it.

Itís still really swollen and the subregion said that time would fix that but he wants me to get it moving and I donít know how to do this with this swelling.

Thank you so much for your help and advice it is really appreciated. Iíd just love someone from the U.K. to tell me how their recovery was as everywhere I read they have been on one of those machines that love your leg or they havenít had a brace on and so still have movement but I canít find anyone who had gone through what I have.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »
Did the surgeon say not to see a physio? Can you set that up privately?

You can move your knee yourself, heel slides, foot in a bag, use a dressing gown or other belt to gently pull your foot towards you (obviously donít do if painful). If the muscles are tight, apply a wheat pack or hot water bottle before and the ice after

You should get more bend once the swelling is reduced, ice and elevation are the best way. A cryocuff will also give compression &#128077;&#127995; Knee one with cooler is around £100 if that :)
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 10:05:25 PM »
I can start physio as soon as they have a slot. Iíve just ordered a cryocuff. Thank you so much

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »
Iíd just love someone from the U.K. to tell me how their recovery was as everywhere I read they have been on one of those machines that love your leg or they havenít had a brace on and so still have movement but I canít find anyone who had gone through what I have.

I don't have any specific advice in addition to what Vickster has already said, and I have myself no experience of TTT. And maybe this is not the right forum, but I just wanted to say that I have also noticed the very different rehab protocols and instructions after TTT, depending on in which country/part of the world you have it done. In some countries, they use a CPM machine for days, in other countries they have brace only, and in some countries you don't use neither brace nor CPM (just non-weight bearing on crutches). I think this is a bit weird actually...and deserves to be discussed within the orthopedic community. 
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
It is very frustrating as in other parts of the world or country the rehab differs and I donít even know what to do. My surgeon said he wants me to start moving my leg and weaning off my brace and weight bearing but only what is comfortable but I donít know how I start to bend my leg as it is so tight and swollen I have limited movement in it but then he worried me when he said the longer it is left not being used the worse it will be. I can have physio but have to wait for an appointment which could be another week or so away. I just wish there was someone else out there whoíd had this done and could tell me how it was for them. As everywhere varies so much I canít get a straight answer.

Thank you for everyoneís help.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
Do you actually have a private physio youíve seen before and knows your history, theyíre just booked up?
When Iíve had a query between appointments, Iíve just pinged the practice an email with an FAO (physio name) with my question and asked advice. Theyíve always got back to me by email or phone in their own clinic/admin time. Worth a try if thatís

In terms of trying to bend, just start very gentle and do whatever you can without notable pain, if the surgeon has said to do it, you arenít going to break anything. As above, try to warm it up first with a hot water bottle and ice afterwards to reduce inflammation. And elevate as much as you can to get the swelling down :)

Whereabouts are you in the UK?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:33:06 PM by Vickster »

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »
No I donít have private physio Iím just waiting for NHS physio. Luckily I remembered that one of the mums at my daughters school is a physio so I spoke with her yesterday and she talked me through quite a lot of stuff and looked at some pictures of my knee. Her advice was great and Iíve been able to get a small bend in my knee from her advice. Fingers crossed my rehab goes well. Iíve been using my cryocuff too and have noticed a difference in swelling. Thank you so much for everyoneís help.

support