Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Which Knee Braces  (Read 1453 times)

Offline Christoff247

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Which Knee Braces
« on: May 04, 2004, 06:38:34 PM »
Hi  
I am recovering from an ACL reconstrution and cartilidge repair (15 months ago) and have just started back Wakeboarding.  Does anyone know which is the best type of brace for use in water (fresh) and for this particular type of injury???

I am currently borrowing a DonJoy defiance from my Physio, as the prices are so high any advice would be appreciated before I purchase

Thanks

C

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Which Knee Braces
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 08:43:40 PM »
Braces are not really needed after ACL surgery, but I think in your case it would be beneficial.  

Although I hate the DJ Defiance brace, and would normally not recommend it, it is the best for water sports.   The hinge design makes it easy to clean, and junk from the water doesn't really affect the hinge performance.  For other sports I highly recommend the Townsend braces, they have a lot better design and have a more natural feel to the hinge.  This brace is not ment for water sports, since,the hinges are more of a closed system.  I had to send my brace back to the manufacter to clean the hinges after being thrown in a lake with it on at soccer camp.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Ouch!!
Re: Which Knee Braces
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 01:22:29 AM »
If you are in the UK, the defiance is about 580 to buy.  In USA it is about 170 + about 5 postage to UK in about 3 days.  I have one which was prescribed to me about 7-8 years ago, so I did'nt have to pay.  I'm pleased with mine, although its a bit bulky and the velcro is irritating on the skin.
Also I have only ever had Donjoy braces, so I cant compare it with any other.  So far I have never got mine wet, but it is recommended for water sports.
Hope this helps,

Heather
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft