Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: TTT and LR recovery queries  (Read 468 times)

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
TTT and LR recovery queries
« on: October 19, 2020, 06:06:37 PM »
Hi Iím new here. I had a TTT and LR on October 7th. I am in a full brace for 6 weeks and can partial weight bear. I am managing with the pain just fine and gritted my teeth after to get home 12 hours after surgery. I am finding that the pain and swelling is worse on the inside of my knee down the side rather than my actual knee cap and wondered if this was he same for others and why this might be? I am struggling massively more with pain in my hip from keeping my leg straight and immobile than the actual pain in my knee. I also canít sleep at all as I am having to sleep in my back and my foot keeps going cold and getting pins and needles in it. I am able to get up with the help of my husband or parents (who are with me 24/7 as we have two small children) because I canít get out of bed myself and support my leg or go to the toilet or manage our 3 storey house with all the stairs. I have read people saying I shouldnít use my quads but thatís difficult as itís an automatic reaction if I need to move my leg using my other leg or if I am trying to get onto the toilet.

I feel like Iím doing more damage laying here day after day, stiffening up than if I was using it. Iíve been told my leg will have to remain straight and in the brace for 6 weeks and then theyíll decide on rehab. The stiffening is really not comfortable. I am 35 years old and have had 28 dislocations from the age of 7 and over the last two years lived with my knee partially dislocated and constantly swollen and painful so I had no choice but to have the surgery. As the swelling has reduced I have to keep adjusting my brace to stop it slipping off and I find it really uncomfortable.

Any stories out there or anyone going through this now I can relate to??

Thank you so much

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 68
Re: TTT and LR recovery queries
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 09:28:59 AM »
Hi Sammilou,

I think many of your problems are quite normal, considering you have undergone a large surgery. For example, pain is often worse on the inside of the knee after surgery due to the fact that this is the tightest area of the knee and just a little swelling easily compresses tissues and nerves there. But you should of course always consult your doc if there is anything that worries you.

For stories to relate to, please check the post-op diaries where several members have documented their TTT/LR post-op experiences. I would particularly encourage you to read the story of bcerella (link below) which I think you can relate to, and maybe try to get in contact with her over PM (you need 20 posts - can be done in The Games Room).

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=78066.0

Good luck with your recovery and keep us updated!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 02:33:37 PM »
Hi   A good tip   

Sleep with a cushion or pillow between your knees, this will ease the pain whilst sleeping
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline sammilou03

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »
Thank you for your replies the cushion is a good idea thank you. I used to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs supporting my bad knee or a pillow under my bad leg but Iíve been told I canít have a pillow under my leg while itís braced so I canít get comfortable.

Thank you for all your replies