Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain After Taping+Miserable Malalignment  (Read 85 times)

Offline Freya

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain After Taping+Miserable Malalignment
« on: October 16, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »
Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this forum.

Has anyone had a knee "injury" after taping?

I was diagnosed with miserable malalignment and patellar maltracking last year on my birthday  :'(
The pain was in my knees was minimal but annoying, I started physio and the first thing the physio therapist did was tape my kneecaps medially (It wasn't sports tape, it was some kind of rigid tape) she told me to leave it on for a couple of days.

After the tape was removed the pain started. I was limping for almost a week after and It hurt to put any kind of pressure on my knees. I can't lay on my belly anymore. I can't sleep with my knees touching.
The pain is always there, somedays are worse than others. When it flares up it's SEVERE and it feels like my legs are on fire. it's concentrated on the medial side. No amount of pain killers, ice or heat will help relieve it.

The doctors are always quick to blame the malalignment but I never had this pain before the tape  :-\

MRI of the right knee was normal. I'm so frustrated.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Pain After Taping+Miserable Malalignment
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 10:12:50 AM »
That is really unfortunate. If you read the CONCLUSIONS here - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1323297/ - you get the idea that increased pain is not a common outcome.

Perhaps you can note if the flare ups are associated with any change in your footware?
--
KNEEguru

Offline Freya

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »
That is really unfortunate. If you read the CONCLUSIONS here - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1323297/ - you get the idea that increased pain is not a common outcome.

Perhaps you can note if the flare ups are associated with any change in your footware?

I know, it's very strange  :( I'm not sure about the footware, I was referred to a sports doctor and will see him next week. Hopefully I will get an answer.

Thank you for the reply!

Offline Tuggers1994

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 08:08:14 PM »
Just a thought...did you do more when you had the tape on? Maybe you've overdone it with your knee if it felt more stable when it was taped? With miserable malalignment it seems to be very easy to sprain/sublax the knee, for me anyway. I managed to sprain my knee walking along a pebbly beach although what finished it off was walking across the kitchen when it just gave out under me. Stairs are also not my friend! The physio only ever put stretchy tape on my knees so can't really help you I'm afraid. Seems to be quite a few miserable malalignment posts cropping up atm so someone else might be along later.

support