Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Prediction of osteoarthritis  (Read 68 times)

Offline símiley_despite_all

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Prediction of osteoarthritis
« on: October 15, 2020, 05:38:03 AM »
I have just turned 50 years old, and about 3 months ago, I had a knee injury, of which resulted a possibly torn meniscus (or one which was not confirmed, but with a chance of 43% of being torn).

I now feel some mild pain in that area, so I believe it must be torn (or maybe I have torn it after the events that led to it).

The pain is no big deal, and it doesn't require an analgesic, or prevent me from walking.

In order to prepare myself for the worse, I would like to know how long in average it might take for me to develop osteoarthritis, and how long will it for the pain to become sharper to the extent that I can't walk or sleep at night.

By the way, I know that as much I would like so, miracles don't really happen, but is there anything I could do as well in order to prevent both any unberable pain and the development of the disease (namely osteoarthritis)?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Prediction of osteoarthritis
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 08:35:42 AM »
How did you injure the knee? Why do you think you tore the meniscus? Have you had an MRI to check the meniscus and joint surfaces? In older (in this case 30+) people the meniscus is often degenerate and tears go along with wear and tear to the articular cartilage (so OA changes). So OA can lead to meniscus tears, not the other way round. However, OA can follow removal of torn meniscus or widespread damage to the meniscus, due to changes to the joint biomenchanics.

Wear and tear to cartilage and even severe arthritis doesn’t necessarily lead to ‘unbearable’ pain or even much pain at all (I have arthritis in all three compartments (ranging from grade 1/2 to 4) and although I have swelling, aching and discomfort, it’s certainly not at the unbearable stage). The important thing is to remain active, with strong and balanced musculature and control inflammation.

Your meniscus may well just heal and cause you no bother in future. The issue comes if the torn tissue gets trapped in the joint and causes locking and buckling (which is the reason why surgery might be needed in any age group)

There are good primers on arthritis and the meniscus in the learning portfolio

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/learning-portfolio#Primers

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:16:13 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support