Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Question about MRI report and injury  (Read 459 times)

Offline gh05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Question about MRI report and injury
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:15:35 AM »
Hi, is anyone here good at making sense of MRI's?

About a month ago I was doing some upper body weight training with a heavy backpack and I squatted up from a low position and twisted a bit. I didn't feel any pain or have any swelling so just did my thing. But around half an hour later I realised that I couldn't walk without the back of my knee feeling like it was 'giving out' every so often. I tried to walk it off over the first couple of weeks but it actually seemed to get worse with a real feeling of weakness and sometimes sharp pain behind my knee joint (I think in the pcl area). I also felt like occasionally something would kinda 'pop' too. I have kept off it since then, using a crutch but moved it more in the last few days and still have pain behind the knee... I also can't do a bodyweight squat. Anyway..here is the MRI report....

https://ibb.co/PjttXtx

It makes little sense to me but in ways seems good though suggests one area is 'thickened'/in line with an injury and there is also evidence of I think some arthritic changes behind my patella and on weight bearing parts too... am a bit concerned with this but think it may also be normal too?

I do a lot of weight lifting type exercise and want to be very active in future too as I'm training to be a personal trainer. I'm 36 and male.

Would appreciate help/advice of people who know more about this.. the GP recommended rest and physio but he only gave me the report.

Thanks

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Question about MRI report and injury
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 11:11:54 AM »
Hi
Your MRI points out some very non-specific changes. Here is a picture of the menisco-capsular junction, so that you see what they are talking about - https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/meniscotibial-ligament?action

Your MRI refers to the menisco-capsular junction in relation to the posterior horn, which just means that there is some thickening in the junction of meniscus and capsule in the region of the back of the knee. Thickening is not likely to be something new.

The meniscus itself on the affected side of the knee and the main ligaments of the knee don't seem damaged.

Under the kneecap and on the top of the tibia bone the white joint cartilage seems to be a bit 'fibrillated', but that is not uncommon and generally means that it is showing general wear and tear.
--
KNEEguru

Offline gh05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 10:54:54 PM »
Hi
Your MRI points out some very non-specific changes. Here is a picture of the menisco-capsular junction, so that you see what they are talking about - https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/meniscotibial-ligament?action

Your MRI refers to the menisco-capsular junction in relation to the posterior horn, which just means that there is some thickening in the junction of meniscus and capsule in the region of the back of the knee. Thickening is not likely to be something new.

The meniscus itself on the affected side of the knee and the main ligaments of the knee don't seem damaged.

Under the kneecap and on the top of the tibia bone the white joint cartilage seems to be a bit 'fibrillated', but that is not uncommon and generally means that it is showing general wear and tear.

Hi, thanks for the reply. You seem quite clued up on this stuff?

Regarding the thickening of the mensiscus/junction, when you say it's not likely to be something new, what makes you say this? Is it possible that it's injured and can thickening be reversed? It is a bad thing? Any idea what damage in the joint may have caused my pain?

I still don't really understand what the injury was/is see. Only that for a month I had a feeling of instability in my knee and clear pain when squatting etc. I still do have some pain, but after doing some physio now that my MRI doesn't show major damage, it is getting better.  My physio is extremely 'exercise positive' and enouraging of me building strength and even doing long term heavy weight training again.

Regarding wear and tear..would everyone my age have this sort of degree of wear and tear that my MRI shows? Or is it something you think I now need to worry about? My concern was where it talked about the weight bearing surface though it does say minor. Again, my physio is very encouraging of weight training and exercise even when I ask him about risks of future arthritic change and problems. I am an athlete of sorts tbh so I do want to be able to lift heavy weights and be competitive with that but at the same time of course I don't want to be having real knee problems in 10-20 years time.  Not being able to walk properly this past 5 weeks or so has been scary whatever went wrong. He suggested that generally the people who have problems are those who had serious injuries like major ligament tears and instability (if they don't do good physio after), and those who maybe take steroids and try to lift too heavy too quickly before their knee joints have caught up with increased muscle strength.  My left (non injured) knee does click and grind if i squat below parallel but again he said this shouldn't be much to worry about. My injured knee doesn't make too much noise at all from squatting.

Would appreciate your opinion anyway. Thanks

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 10:55:15 AM »
Thanks for pinging me on the 'Messages' - I had forgotten to click the Notify button to be alerted to your response on this thread.
I do not think that the thickening at the meniscocapsular junction is important, and your improvement seems to be in line with my feelings. But it is a little sign to you to go easy on your knees...
Heavy weights and deep squats are not that good for knees, and even though you are in an athletic training industry you still need to respect your knees.
--
KNEEguru

support