Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 weeks post meniscus surgery and I can now barely walk!  (Read 129 times)

Offline gmak1953

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 weeks post meniscus surgery and I can now barely walk!
« on: October 14, 2020, 01:22:25 PM »
I had surgery for meniscus tear 3 weeks ago. I'm 67 years old.   Doing pretty well post op until Sunday.  I was standing in front of the washer and all of a sudden abrupt excruciating pain in my knee around my knee and I was barely able to put weight on the right leg.  I went to the surgeon yesterday. He took xrays and said they are fine. He said that the injection given in OR is wearing off?  So abruptly? So that I can barely put weight on it?  He said he can't give another cortisone injection for 3 weeks and that it's just arthritis.  I don't understand how this abrupt excruciating pain is 'normal'. This isn't normal in any world I am aware of.   Does anyone know what this could be or has anyone here experienced it?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 3 weeks post meniscus surgery and I can now barely walk!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 01:29:52 PM »
Your knee 3 weeks after even keyhole surgery will still be traumatised, raw and angry inside, the inflammation is causing the pain as well as bone rubbing if severely arthritic. 3-6 months recovery is to be expected so it’s very early days. You’d be best to RICE (esp the Rest and Ice), use pain meds if needed, a topical anti inflammatory rubbed around the sore areas could help (if you are ok to use)

If the knee is extensively arthritic it will need even more time and may even then not feel good.
If it’s no better in a month or two or worse, get it checked again

Rest up :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline gmak1953

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
Thank you.  I was just surprised at how doing NOTHING would out of the blue cause such horrific pain.  I am resting as much as possible and icing.  I am 67 but I have a 10 year old special needs daughter so resting isn't as often as I would like.   Thank you again!

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »
Do ice a few times a day and elevate your knee above your heart when off your feet as much as possible.
It’ll just take time to heal unfortunately
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline gmak1953

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 02:00:10 AM »
Thank you again.   I appreciate your time in responding.

Offline símiley_despite_all

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2020, 05:01:51 AM »
Why were you operated for a meniscus tear?

I have heard that meniscus surgeries should be reserved for younger people (I guess under the age of 50), in order to try to preserve their menisci for as long as possible, and because they are able to recover.

In older people who underwent the same procedure, the benefits are said not to be the same, and that the risk of developing arthritis is usually higher than those who didn't underwent it.

Besides, I have seen videos about the recovery process of young people who underwent surgery for a knee injury, and I was shocked.

Even for young people, that's a horrible thing to go through, and the whole process is only completed after 8 months or even a year.
Some young people say that even after a year, their knee didn't feel the same, and they still had problems with it.

So, how could a middle-aged people go through that?

I guess I now understand why I have read some articles in which it was said that maybe some people were waiting too much, and it was about time for them to have their total/partial knee replacement in order to enjoy the full benefits of that operation.

Indeed, it was was shocking to see that after a knee operation, your knee is not only swollen and painful, but also completely stiff, and it takes several months of physiotherapy to regain motion of the knee.

I'm 50, I just had my injury a few months ago, and while I was considerably energetic until a few months ago, I know I can't handle that, and I now can't help thinking of death.

Please, doctors.

Find better solutons for all of us (both young and older people).

I understand that some pain may be inevitable, but at least make it be worth it...

Offline gmak1953

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
Well the reason I had the surgery is because I had tears across and up and down my meniscus,  The pain was unrelenting and even though I'm old, they felt that they could offer some relief from pain-so that it won't be quite so bad.  So since I am raising a daughter at my age, I felt I had to do whatever might help me be able to do it better.  It was my choice and the doctor agreed with me.  I'd had the injury in Dec. last year and the pain kept increasing until I couldn't handle it without attempting relief with surgery.  I am sorry you are thing of death!  My goodness!   There is always something good and something worth living for.  I hope you find it for yourself.  That kind of pain sounds much worse than what I am experiencing from the surgery.   

support