Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Anyone smart enough to this thin piece of hardware?  (Read 78 times)

Offline Ms.Tessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Anyone smart enough to this thin piece of hardware?
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:56:02 AM »
Dear Fellow Knee Warriors,

I'm attaching three X-rays of my R knee, and amongst all the screws and staples, I'm trying to ID the long thin piece of hardware that looks like a shepherd's crook in what should be the first image, and maybe a thin nail in another image.

QUESTIONS
1) What the heck is this piece of hardware and why is it there? My only guess is that it's a surgical pin that was left in . . .
2) Whatever it is, has it been left in by design or by mistake? 

BACKGROUND
Some kind of knee injury in the gym a few years ago brought me to get X-rays (the right knee had not been X-ray-ed in over a decade), and viewing these images is the first time I've seen all this hardware.

My right knee has been through a 1) failed ACL/MCL repair (ligaments restapled to the bone) after a skiing accident; 2) a failed allograft ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair w/meniscus arrows; 3) an ACL reconsctruction using my patellar tendon; and finally 4) a medial mensicus transplant from a cadaver and some "reefing"? of the MCL ligament.

I was able to get back to a somewhat normal life after the fourth operation for over a decade, though I had to give up triathlons and swing dancing (NO SKIING EVER AGAIN!). And I was grateful to walk without pain and continue to bike and swim.

My right knee has been going downhill since I did some walking lunges in the gym a  few years back (no weights), and on one particular lunge with the R knee being forward, the knee went down further than normal. I just felt myself sinking down lower and could not stop and my right knee felt like something happened, but no clicks or pops, just immediate soreness. Since that time, I've had worsening of symptoms. Maybe I tore my medial mensicus transplant?

Thanks so much to the community for any answers and enlightenment.
Kind regards,
Tessie

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Anyone smart enough to this thin piece of hardware?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 10:31:21 AM »
The 'shepherd's crook' is a pin. Clearly there were fragments that needed to be stabilised so that healing could take place. It is unlikely to ever need attention but can be removed if problematic.
--
KNEEguru

support