Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Recovery expectations  (Read 102 times)

Offline Derk84

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovery expectations
« on: October 09, 2020, 01:33:00 PM »
Hi everyone. I am quite new here and have read up on topics and encouraging stories in this forum. I have learned quite a bit here. I guess what I’m trying to say is thank you.

I’m worried about my recovery process. Everything feels like a struggle and I am learning to be patient with my body.

My job requires me to kneel on the floor, climb scaffolding, ladders and stairs. The climbing is not just with my body weight but with additional weight from materials and equipment that I carry. I’ve read a lot about the difficulties others have had with going up and down stairs and I wonder if I’ll be able to do this again.
This injury has me constantly wondering about my future. I like to think that my life will return to normal. I want to be able to work again without limitations. I want to be able to run after my kids when they run out on to the street to chase after the ball. Just trying to stay positive.

Shattered my left patella at work- 13/07/2020 (two days before my 36th birthday)
I asked the OS how many pieces it broke into and he replied “we couldn’t count how many pieces”
Also the term “dusted” was used a lot as well to describe what was left

Patella fracture surgery ORIF, MPFL repair- 22/07/2020
(3 pins, 2 k-wires)
Zimmer splint till- 10/08/2020
Immobilizer installed and physio- 17/08/2020
115degrees ROM (weight bearing no crutches) 07/10/2020

Thank you for letting me share.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Recovery expectations
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »
So sorry to hear of your bad injury. The patella is a problem because immobilisation is needed to heal the fragments, but movement is needed to prevent adhesions. Just listen carefully to your physios.
--
KNEEguru