Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: OATS (Allograft)  (Read 320 times)

Offline ebeyer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OATS (Allograft)
« on: October 01, 2020, 03:42:50 AM »
This is my first post on here after always reading information from this website....

Doing this procedure all on the lateral side. I am 22 years old and have a 12x12 mm lesion on my lateral femoral condyle. Previously I have had a ACL and partial lateral menisectomy. Been putting this surgery off for a long time and now finally biting the bullet. Anyone have any advice, tips, or anything I should purchase before getting this surgery (pillow, compression sleeves, etc).

Thank you very much!

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 420
  • Neelie knee!
Re: OATS (Allograft)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 12:03:33 PM »
You need to discuss the post op and rehab protocols with your surgeon and physiotherapist when you start rehab. For any articular cartilage repair, especially if a weight bearing area, these are often very strict, involving potentially brace use and non weight bearing on crutches, and extended periods off work especially if on your feet/manual work. This is often for several months. To allow the knee to heal and the graft to take.
It could also take a year or more to get back to any sort of normality or see an improvement even with what is a small defect.

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline jgardner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Ultramarathoner Recovering from Mosaicplasty
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 02:56:41 AM »
Sorry I'm a bit late to help here...but in case anyone else is looking for an opinion on this...

I had a mosaicplasty surgery about 8 weeks ago. Before the surgery, I rented a cryotherapy machine that circulates ice cold water and applies pressure through a sleeve that raps around the knee. It was recommended by my surgeon and I did find it helpful. It would automatically shut off after 30 minutes, remain off for 30 minutes and then cycle back on. It was kind of expensive (US $20/day), so I returned it after the minimum 2-week rental was up.

Unfortunately my swelling returned and I had to scramble to find other ice options. I ordered some reusable ice packs to fill the void, but it took a while for them to arrive. I wish I had bought them in advance of the surgery.

I have a pair of compression tights that I have put on my recovering leg to help with the swelling. I would recommend purchasing a compression option before surgery if you don't have something that could do the job already.

Good luck!

Offline Chuckles

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 04:40:02 AM »
jgardner what was the brand of cryotherapy machine you rented? Have one with an auto start/shut-off seems super helpful!

Offline jgardner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Ultramarathoner Recovering from Mosaicplasty
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:28:44 PM »
Hey Chuckles...it was a "Game Ready Ice Machine" (I think it was model GRPRO 2.1). It came with a straight sleeve to circulate ice cold water around the knee and apply compression. (There are apparently other "sleeve" options.) It had automatic on-and-off cycles and different temperature and compression settings. You need to reload it with ice...but the ice would last for hours in the machine, so you could do multiple cycles. I picked up the unit from a vendor in northern New Jersey and I shipped it back to them when my term with the machine was up. It was worth renting for me...in fact I think I should have rented it for another week or two while sorting out and obtaining other icing options.

support