Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Neuroma in nerve causing knee pain?  (Read 142 times)

Offline TooYoungForThis1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Neuroma in nerve causing knee pain?
« on: September 28, 2020, 09:01:28 PM »
Hi all! I am new here. I have been in pain for 2 years since a recreational sports injury. I have had 2 surgeries and tons of X-rays, imaging, etc and everyone is telling me nothing is wrong with me. I saw a doctor who thinks I have a neuroma in my nerve near my knee. He did 2 separate lidocaine injections which eliminated all of my pain which was his diagnostic test. He wants me to have surgery to remove my nerve. If you have had this type of surgery, could you please share with me all the details?

Some questions I have...

1. Are you glad you had the surgery?
2. What nerve(s) were cut?
3. How long was your incision?
4. What will the recovery be like? (Do I need to keep my leg straight? Will I be in a brace? Will I need PT after? Will I have a hard time bending and extending my leg after like my other 2 knee surgeries?)
5. What are the risks of the surgery besides infection? (Numbness? Burning pain? CRPS? Paralysis?)
6. Should I do anything else at the same time during this surgery to increase the chance of success? (i.e. stem cells, peripheral nerve stimulator such as Stimrouter, ketamine infusion, etc.)
7. What did your pain feel like before the surgery? Mine is a sharp stabbing pain when I walk. It doesn’t hurt when I sit or lay down except when I rotate it a certain way when my leg is extended. It doesn’t radiate down my leg.
8. Did your insurance cover it?
9. How can i prevent another neuroma from forming?
10. Would the nerve removal surgery cause more scar tissue?
11. If the nerve is removed and there is still pain does that mean another nerve may need to be removed? Or what might next steps be?
12. How long did it take to know the surgery worked?
13. Did you get 100% relief?
14. What sort of testing was done prior to surgery to confirm the neuroma?
15. What doctor(s) in the USA do you recommend for this?
16. Anything else I should know?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Neuroma in nerve causing knee pain?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »
This is old now, but 'missmyknee' posted extensively on this topic - https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/blogs/missmyknee
--
KNEEguru