Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Multiple patella fracture surgeries limited recovery  (Read 80 times)

Offline rod1213

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Multiple patella fracture surgeries limited recovery
« on: August 16, 2020, 07:10:15 PM »
Hi
I had a transverse 3 piece fracture repair on 2/1.  Sometime between 2/1 and 3/7 I fractured patella in a new location and significantly separated the two pieces.  On 3/21 original surgeon performed an x-ray when I could not lift my leg and informed me a second surgery was required it was performed on 3/23 and I remained in full extension braces until 4/20 (from 2/1).  I have progressed to around 90 degrees by end of June but had setbacks in July from opposite side hip pain (previously had both hips replaced, either bursa or muscle pull was problem) which shut me down for 3 weeks.  I have slowly progressed to 98 degrees.  I still cannot go down stairs without a brace (otherwise I don't need one) how long does this take?My doctor has discharged me and said  that due to extensive nature of surgeries anything over 90 degrees is a victory.  He will continue to provide me scripts for more physical therapy.  I am  at ca 300 lbs and 67 years old.  I don't want to stop but muscle atrophy of upper quad is really a problem i have not overcome any advice??  I can work the quads but after 40 minutes they are shot (I was a biker and walker in distant past they were not weak and I had weighed 380 lbs in Jan 1.   Physical therapy may cut me loose as I am not progressing.  If that happens where do I go?  I can do a lot at home.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:40:04 PM by rod1213, Reason: wrong date and spelling »

support