Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: "Biting" sensation in lower-left front of left knee  (Read 53 times)

Offline JackBeQuick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
"Biting" sensation in lower-left front of left knee
« on: July 30, 2020, 02:31:15 AM »
Hello,

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this!

My situation: around four years ago while playing tennis, I felt a sudden, stinging or snapping sensation in my left knee as I bent on it to hit a backhand volley.

Ever since then, I've felt a kind of biting or stinging sensation in the lower, left front of my left knee. Some days are worse than others, but if I avoid stressing the knee (putting pressure on it) it's only say 2 out of 7 days a week that it's actively annoying.

Any time I put pressure on the knee, for example doing back-bridges, leaning forward over the knee in the "warrior" position in yoga, or just squatting, it aggravates it and lasts for several days.

Including today, I've now been to 5 doctors about it, had many X-rays and MRIs. None of them have been able to find anything, although one said it was due to arthritis. But today's doctor said it was very mild arthritis, and didn't seem to think that was the problem. 

So, although I'm willing, any kind of surgery is out of the question because they can't justify it to the inurance companies - there's nothing to fix, no problem. 

I've tried cortisone shots, physical therapy, custom-made foot supports, but nothing as worked so far.

The doctor today said as I was flat-footed, had tight hamstrings and under-developed quads. All true, but at the same time I've tried PT and it doesn't work.  I feel there's some type of injury there, but they can't find it. Whatever it is, they can't see it, so how can they fix it?

I asked him about knee replacement, and he said he wouldn't recommend it.

In any case, the Dr. ordered an MRI, and we'll have a follow-up to review it.

Is there anything else I can try? Pain relief would be fine, it doesn't need to be a cure. Maybe acupunture? I'm at my wits and, to be honest.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Any ideas or feedback would be most welcome! 

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 105
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: "Biting" sensation in lower-left front of left knee
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
This article may help you understand the anatomy - https://drrobertlaprademd.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/anatomy-biomechanics-lateral-side-knee-surgical-implications.pdf

I wonder if a trial of a lateral unloader brace might help to identify whether the meniscus or joint surface are contributing to the pain?
--
KNEEguru