Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Lateral Meniscus Transplant, OATS Procedure  (Read 1253 times)

Offline thejohn0317

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Meniscus Transplant, OATS Procedure
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:09:53 AM »
I am an otherwise healthy 25 year old male, 6', 165 lbs. (pre-surgery weight) and I've been active my whole life with varying degrees of success. I have had two previous surgeries on my left knee: a procedure in 1998 to fix a discoid meniscus and one in 2005 to repair an osteochondritis dissecans lesion of the lateral femoral condyle.

I am currently 11 weeks removed from a combination lateral meniscus transplant and OATS (osteochondral allograft) procedure on my left knee. The OATS involved having two "plugs" of the femur replaced, one about the size of a half dollar and the other the size of a nickel. The meniscus transplant (as it was the lateral side) required the surgeon to detach the LCL from its connection point at the femur in order to open up the joint and sew the transplant to the tibia.

I have been attending physical therapy three times per week since three days out of surgery and I am now 100% weight bearing.  My flexion, though, is a problem: I am getting just 93 degrees flexion and that only after an excruciating series of pops, cracks, and screams during my last PT session a few days ago. (Despite the pain, it was the most promising sign of recovery in nearly three months.)

My surgeon has said that if I am not able to achieve my full ROM by 12 weeks (meaning I have one week to achieve ~30 degrees flexion gain), he will recommend a closed manipulation, or manipulation under anesthesia. I have been researching this procedure quite a bit, and research I've found has been mixed and mostly centered around TKR patients who are much older than I am.

Has anyone had experience with a manipulation under anesthesia as a treatment for stiff joint following knee surgery? Any stories of long-term success and range-of-motion gain?

Thank you in advance for the help,
John

Offline Kateneu9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Lateral Meniscus Transplant, OATS Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 05:01:45 AM »
Hi John,

I had an OATS procedure Dec. 13, 2012 (at the time I was 41) - I didn't really have any problems getting my full ROM back, although it did take some time!  The non-weight bearing part was a pain, but well worth it when I was finally 100%.  I started off very slowly with walking on a treadmill and not too much later, I was a few minutes on an elliptical.  I am so happy I got the procedure and would definitely make the same decision again. 

Unfortunately, my arthritis has gotten much worse and I have 3 perfectly clear spots on my femur (from my donor) and the rest of my knee is covered in arthritis, so I'm back to being in pain again, but totally unrelated to the OATS.  I'm actually going in for a tibial osteotomy next week, so hopefully I'll be back on the elliptical in due time. 

Sorry I can't help you with any experience on the manipulation.   I'm hoping you were able to get the ROM yourself and not have to have it. 

Offline ebeyer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Lateral Meniscus Transplant, OATS Procedure
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 03:45:58 PM »
Hello, I am around the same age as you and need this exact surgery. Can you tell me about your progress and how you are doing? Thank you very much!

support