Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Quadriceps Tendon Rupture  (Read 136 times)

Offline davmac5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Quadriceps Tendon Rupture
« on: July 03, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »
My Story:
About 5 and 1/2 weeks ago, I took a spill down my basement steps, top to bottom. In the process of the fall I reflexively attempted to stop my fall by catching myself with my legs. My left leg caught a stair about half way down and the force of my fall vs. my legs ability to stop it caused a complete rupture of my quad tendon. Fortunately, there was no other damage. (broken neck/back, etc...) We went to the local ER and then the next day to the ortho/knee surgeon. Two days later, I had surgery to effect repairs. Knee hurt for several days following, as expected. I'm using a brace to keep the knee in full extension while walking with no pain. I began physical therapy last week with nominal passive ROM movements and some very simple isometric flexing of my thigh. Five weeks on I have between 80 - 90 flexibility and am doing a little more with the quad muscle in an attempt to keep the atrophy to a minimum. I find the hardest part of my situation as just having the patience to be calm and let it heal. My fear is pushing it too much and causing a set back. My question for others who have passed through a similar injury/situation is how long will it take before I can actually bear walking weight on my leg? I'm seeing information that tells me anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks (post-op) before I can expect to be able to use it again. Is this a good approximation? Can I hope to be back on my feet without the brace in another six or seven weeks?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Quadriceps Tendon Rupture
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
Straight reply   !! NO !!, listen to your knee, you are in for a long haul to recovery - PATIENCE is the secret - ask questions -

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support