Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Tears  (Read 146 times)

Offline Mooseloroose

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Tears
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:46:08 PM »
So I've been plagued with lateral meniscus tears ever since I broke my knee in 2016. Had a tear last year, had arthroscopic surgery. And recovered and was fine for a year. I also have arthritis from my injury. But it's been manageable. This year in 2020. I tore another part of my lateral meniscus. My surgeon didn't want to operate because tears with the presence of arthritis, have the same outcome as no surgery. So all of February I was on crutches. I ditched them in March and started doing PT. I was doing well. Still pain, but it was hurting less and less. I started biking alot in April thinking it's great for my knee, as I was told. But apparently the hills destroyed me. I woke up one day with pain at rest again. And since then it hasn't changed. Any idea what could be going on?  Maybe a re tear of the same meniscus?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 400
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Meniscus Tears
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:49:25 PM »
Could be inflammation due to over use from cycling. Or pain from the arthritis?
Cycling is better but you can do damage by grinding gears on hills or if the set up of saddle especially is sub optimal.
RICE, pain meds, see physio, get bike Assessment/ fit done by a cycling focussed physio :)
If the arthritis is one side (lateral?) talk to physio about an unloader brace. May help
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up