Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: A massive crack...  (Read 426 times)

Offline bcerella

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
A massive crack...
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:28:57 PM »
Iím due to have surgery to correct my maltracking patella sometime in the next couple weeks.  I was diagnosed with PFS when I was 16. The pain has gotten worse over the years, but in the last 3 months itís gotten a lot worse, and now itís getting significantly worse every day. I canít even drive anymore. Iíve lost quite a bit of ROM: I was a yoga teacher; now I canít even get to 90 degrees.

My knee cracks every time I straighten my leg, but last night as I sat down in the sofa, as I reached the deepest part of the squat, I felt a massive crack at the top of my patella. I happened to have my hand on my knee and felt the bone move medially - such an awful, *wrong* feeling. Since then the pain (at the top of the patella) when sitting down is blinding. I have to shift all my weight to my left leg and lower myself with my arms.

What is this pain? Iím used to the grinding, but this is new. It doesnít feel like bone - more like soft tissue. Over the last couple weeks, in preparation for my surgery, Iíve had an MRI, TT TG ct scan and several xrays; do I need to request another MRI to look for a new problem, or will the surgeon be able to deal with it once Iím cut open?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 112
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: A massive crack...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:42 PM »
It could be a number of things:
- a subluxation but that is more often lateral
- a bit of joint cartilage tearing off
- a plica being nipped

Perhaps RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) will suffice until your surgery, when the surgeon should be able to locate the issue.
--
KNEEguru

Offline kneegeek2020

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 06:06:50 PM »
Get multiple opinions before you go with this guy.  It sucks paying the extra money now but it will look like a drop in the pond if you get a lot worse and have to undergo surgery after surgery.

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
Get multiple opinions before you go with this guy.  It sucks paying the extra money now but it will look like a drop in the pond if you get a lot worse and have to undergo surgery after surgery.
The poster had surgery, diary here

https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=78066.msg710177;boardseen#new
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

support