Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral release and Knee arthroscopy  (Read 152 times)

Offline Fsugirl24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral release and Knee arthroscopy
« on: June 30, 2020, 01:44:14 AM »
So 6 weeks ago I had a lateral release done, along with arthroscopy To clean out some tissue under the kneecap.

I am in WAY more pain that I was before the procedures. Going up and down stairs is excruciating, even rising from a sitting position is very painful. Today I bent down to do something, heard a LOUD pop in the knee that I had surgery on. Then I fell on my bum and it took a good 5 minutes to get back on my feet as the one leg wasnít functioning at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Iím to the point where I totally regret ever having the procedure.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:52:29 AM by Fsugirl24 »

Offline A_sure_sky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Lateral release and Knee arthroscopy
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 04:12:26 AM »
I haven't had the experience you have had but I have had lateral release surgeries on both knees.  What was happening with your knee that made you go for a lateral release? What rest and rehab program have you been doing since your surgery?  Have you seen your surgeon or a physician since this latest setback?

Offline Fsugirl24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 05:14:20 AM »
I had mild arthritis under then kneecap. As a result, the kneecap was misaligned. Surgery consisted of cleaning out under the kneecap and lateral release to help realign. I was in a knee immobilizer for 2 weeks. Then I did exercises to help strengthen the quads to support the knee. I have a 6 week follow up appointment this week. The pain is way worse than it was prior to surgery. I know there is a ~30% failure rate for the lateral release, so just wondering if anyone else has experienced increased pain following the procedure. Pain, clicking in my knee, and the loud pop today makes me wonder if I am in the 30%. 

Offline Fsugirl24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 05:15:02 AM »
I haven't had the experience you have had but I have had lateral release surgeries on both knees.  What was happening with your knee that made you go for a lateral release? What rest and rehab program have you been doing since your surgery?  Have you seen your surgeon or a physician since this latest setback?

I had mild arthritis under then kneecap. As a result, the kneecap was misaligned. Surgery consisted of cleaning out under the kneecap and lateral release to help realign. I was in a knee immobilizer for 2 weeks. Then I did exercises to help strengthen the quads to support the knee. I have a 6 week follow up appointment this week. The pain is way worse than it was prior to surgery. I know there is a ~30% failure rate for the lateral release, so just wondering if anyone else has experienced increased pain following the procedure. Pain, clicking in my knee, and the loud pop today makes me wonder if I am in the 30%.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 104
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
You may have subluxed medially, which is one of the unpleasant possibilities following lateral release.  I believe that 'lengthening' rather than 'release' is the preferred route nowadays, and only where there are firm indications, and often together with a medial plication.

See https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22301361/

You will have to see how things go and discuss with your surgeon. Options include reconstruction of the lateral retinaculum.

This paper may be of interest to you - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3441987/
--
KNEEguru

support