Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Recovering from ACL surgery on your own?  (Read 58 times)

Offline jt19

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Recovering from ACL surgery on your own?
« on: June 18, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »
Sorry for the long post, so I guess Iím looking for reassurance from people whoíve already been through this or might have some advice. On the 15th July, Iím due to have an ACL reconstruction with a hamstring graft and either a trim or repair of lateral meniscus depending on what they find when they go into the knee.

I have been waiting so long for surgery, since last October, and with everything going on with coronavirus I didnít even think it was going to happen in the NHS this year. Now the excitement of finally knowing Iím getting the surgery has worn off a bit and Iím really quite scared about how Iím going to cope. With coronavirus, Iíve been told I have to self-isolate for 2 weeks beforehand and 2 weeks after. I live alone now and there isnít anyone who can self-isolate with me for a month, although Iím not worried about the 2 weeks before, itís the 2 weeks after.

I think itís probably worse because itís fear of the unknown, I never thought I was going to be in this position recovering from surgery on my own because of the virus and being recently single. Iím doing everything I can to be as prepared as I can be. The fridge and freezer and house are going to be stocked for at least the 2 weeks+ after the operation, with food, ice, ice packs, paracetamol/ibuprofen etc. I plan to have as much stuff that I might need either out or accessible at an easy level. Will have a back bag for carrying stuff around and flask and water bottles for drinks. Am prepared for sink washes for 2 weeks if I have to. Iím planning to either be on the sofa or on the bed and only getting up for drinks, minimal preparation of food and bathroom stuff.

Has anyone else had to spend the first 2 weeks completely on their own recovering from this kind of surgery? If you did, how was it and is there any advice youíd have?