Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Osteoarthritis knees made worse by snapping, sharp pain in rear lateral knees.  (Read 257 times)

Offline Janie62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi, Iím 63 female and had patellofemoral problems for as long as I can remember. I had a lateral release on R knee in 2010 which helped for a while but not enough to start cycling again. In 2015 I had my patellofemoral joint replaced in my R knee. This improved my pain immensely but I started having a sharp electric shock like pain behind my R knee in a lateral position. I thought this was something to do with one of the surgeries and my GP prescribed a low dose of amitriptyline for nerve pain- didnít do anything for the pain but I sleep much better now.
Recently this pain started in my L knee also and as pain was happening also in the knee itself, walking uphill as well as downhill I now only walk my dogs on the flat. Last week I walked across some fields and down a sloping street and I could barely walk. Both knees really hurt and I kept having these sharp shocks to the rear of both and almost giving way beneath me. I spoke to my GP by phone and he is sending me for X-rays for the knee pain but I didnít bother telling him about the pain in the rear as Iím sure I need a full replacement in both knees anyway now.
Does anyone know what this pain can be in the rear lateral part of my knee? I donít know if itís a surgical thing I can ask my surgeon about, or if itís something else that needs another sort of treatment. I havenít left my house for a week now as too scared due to knees giving way walking in my house and garden. &#128533;

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 400
  • Neelie knee!
Sorry to hear your knees are playing up

There might be something here that gives some insight
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/common-knee-disorders/pain-back-knee

However if you have OA, it could just be that your muscles are tight from compensating for a lack of range of motion, especially calves and hamstrings (if youíre still cycling, also notorious for tightening up calves and hammies).
Are you able to so some gentle stretching of your legs and lower back which can also lead to tightness in the legs. If you look in the primer section of the learning portfolio, thereís a good list of exercises to try (gently)

Good luck

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 106
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Could it be a loose body, perhaps? - ie a piece of loose joint cartilage from the osteoarthritis.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Janie62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Could it be a loose body, perhaps? - ie a piece of loose joint cartilage from the osteoarthritis.

Hi thanks for your reply. I have had that happen a few times inside my knee, that was an awful pain going down into my calf as well. This feeling is completely different though.

Offline Janie62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Sorry to hear your knees are playing up

There might be something here that gives some insight
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/common-knee-disorders/pain-back-knee

However if you have OA, it could just be that your muscles are tight from compensating for a lack of range of motion, especially calves and hamstrings (if youíre still cycling, also notorious for tightening up calves and hammies).
Are you able to so some gentle stretching of your legs and lower back which can also lead to tightness in the legs. If you look in the primer section of the learning portfolio, thereís a good list of exercises to try (gently)

Good luck
Thanks for your reply, although I had to stop cycling some years back, I used to go to two yoga and two Pilates classes a week and swim. I cancelled my gym membership about a year ago as I now care for my mum. My only exercise has been walking the dogs for an hour a day which I had to stop last week (my husband is walking them on his own now) I just canít believe theyíve got so bad so suddenly.
I will look at the exercises thank you.

support