Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Problem with screw post-ACL recon  (Read 202 times)

Offline sophie15

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Problem with screw post-ACL recon
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:47:02 PM »
About 2 months after ACL recon using a hamstring graft I developed a clunking/clicking sensation every time I extended my leg. I am now 7.5 months post op and still have this sensation. It isn't painful but becomes a little uncomfortable when I extend while loading through my leg.

My surgeon originally thought it was the result of a cyclops lesion (scar tissue), however an MRI report stated it was caused by the screw being too long and the graft flicking over the end of the screw. The surgeon said this wouldn't damage the graft but I feel like if the graft is constantly rubbing over a piece of plastic, in the long term this must cause some wear and tear. He said removing the screw is an option after 8 months post-op. My physio says my knee is now not tracking right as a result of the issue with the screw.

Has anyone else been told the screw is too long? Does this sound a feasible cause for the symptoms?

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 104
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Problem with screw post-ACL recon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 12:38:36 PM »
This is a rather long article, but you can see that screws can lead to several issues - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6301892/
--
KNEEguru