Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Three years of constant pain and compleeeetely frustrated  (Read 270 times)

Offline Mals

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello. So, I'm interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar to my issues... I've got a knee which feels like it's going to fall apart as I'm walking. I'm unable to fully extend my leg and if I happen to straighten it completely, when I'm walking, it catches (at which point I trip or even fall). When I'm at rest however, it feels like an elastic that's being stretched too far, that might snap at any moment. My doctors told me that my first MRI showed osteochondritis dissecans of the patella. They recommended PT and surgery. The therapist and I worked together for six months, and it was her main intention to get my leg to straighten out. After that six months, my doctor wanted to delay the notion of surgery. I had another MRI and x-rays which then showed a good amount of arthritis on the medial side. By that time, I could straighten my leg but not while walking, and still the constant pain. I'm back in therapy now, and quite frankly I don't want surgery, but after cortisone and viscosupplementation injections, NSAIDs, and all the topical treatments known to man (all useless) I feel it's the one thing I haven't tried yet. There are four distinct sites of pain- my anterior medial side which is painful to the touch, the posterior medial femoral epicondyle also painful to the touch, the tibial tuberosity (for whatever reason) is super sensitive, and my patella in general seems to not want to stay in place and it shifts/slides around. There's always an ache deep within my knee, severe pain on the anterior medial side and I have trouble with extended it fully or bending it more than 75 degrees. Basically, I'm beyond frustrated because nothing so far has given me any relief. Does anyone have any insight whatsoever?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Three years of constant pain and compleeeetely frustrated
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
How old are you?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Hi

Just to clarify - have you seen a doctor or an orthopaedic consultant. A normal GP/Doctor is not qualified to give you a complete prognosis of your knee =    where do you live and have you had a second opinion?

Best/John K Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »
Hi

Just to clarify - have you seen a doctor or an orthopaedic consultant. A normal GP/Doctor is not qualified to give you a complete prognosis of your knee =    where do you live and have you had a second opinion?

Best/John K Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Mals

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:46:23 PM »
Thank you for feedback. So far, I've been to my PC, several therapists, and I've seen two orthopedic surgeons. The first ortho doc gave me cortisone injections and later the hyaluronic acid injections. I went for a second opinion about 7 weeks after the viscous injections as I still hadn't felt any relief. The second ortho doc basically told me that I was too young for TJR, and that with osteoarthritis I just have to deal with the pain. He told me to go home and figure out how to work and function without causing more pain to myself! When I asked if he would refer me to Occupational therapy, he refused, saying that it's on me, and that I have to learn to live with the pain and restriction of motion until I'm "old enough for the TJR." Not that I would want a total joint replacement, but in my opinion he was simply rude. My Primary Care doc sent another referral for the original ortho doc. About 10 weeks after the viscous injections, I began to feel a bit of relief. So, when I went back to the original ortho, it was to let them know that I finally felt better- not totally, but certainly a bit better. That was last July. Since February of this year, though, the full amount of pain and ROM issues are all back. I feel I should get another series of injections... but, as they lasted only about 7 months, I'm super frustrated.

support