Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Mild persistent pain at the back of my knee  (Read 232 times)

Offline roywill213

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mild persistent pain at the back of my knee
« on: May 24, 2020, 04:33:30 PM »
Hi all, forgive me if this is posted in the wrong forum, I've never posted here before so hopefully, these type of questions are permitted.

I usually don't ask people online for medical advice, but seeing how my PT will be unavailable until July, I have to make an exception.

So as the title says, I'm facing a persistent but mild pain at the back of my knee that started a few months ago in February after I decided to go on a 10km walk each day.

Seeing as how I was not physically active as I used to be, I wanted to at least do something until I could afford to go back to the gym, and to go back to doing cardio like jogging or cycling. That is why I decided to take on a 10k walk each day to at least do something instead of sitting in front of my PC all day long.

Shortly after a few weeks of me doing that, each time I was out on a walk, I began to feel a slight pain at the back of my knee in my right leg which only worsened the more I pushed through it.

After noticing that, I decided to rest and let it pass using the RICE method. At this time the COVID quarantine started, so I wasn't able to go on walks as I used to and decided to use that time to rest my knee even more.

Fast forward to May and the end of quarantine, I started to go on my 10k walk routine again, only this time the pain came back quickly on the first day, starting again from mild to strong the more I go.

I knew there was something wrong when nothing changed over these 2 months, so I decided to google the problem to see if it was anything serious, and I couldn't find anything. The only thing that I did find is that it could be hamstring tendonitis, which seems to fit the description of my problem well. I have tight hamstrings, and overuse of them could have been the result of this, the only thing that I do not understand is, why did it only appear on one of my legs and not the other?

And that's why I'm here asking you guys, if you could give me any advice on what this problem might be and if there is any way to fix it.

Thanks in forward, and apologies for the long post.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Mild persistent pain at the back of my knee
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 06:37:55 PM »
Did you build up gradually to your long walk?  What were you wearing on your feet for these walks? What was the terrain like?

Do you have a daily stretching regimen to work on all the muscles that tighten and shorten when sedentary, hamstrings, glutes, calves, hip flexors, piriformis etc? It may be worse in one leg due to an imbalance for example in your gait. Have you ever had your feet and gait assessed?

Do you use heat or ice on the painful area? Have you tried an anti inflammatory gel? To manage inflammation from the overuse?

Can you contact your physio by email, phone, video?

There’s a bunch of exercises and stretches to look into here
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/a-z-rehabilitation-exercises

And possible causes of pain behind knee here
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/common-knee-disorders/pain-back-knee
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 07:23:28 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline roywill213

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Mild persistent pain at the back of my knee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »
Hi, Vickster. Apologies for the late reply, I posted this just before I went to bed. Anyway, to answer some of your questions:

Did you build up gradually to your long walk?  What were you wearing on your feet for these walks? What was the terrain like?

No, I went straight to 10km walk from the first day, instead of building up my distance gradually (which now I see was a big mistake).

The shoes I was wearing were simple sneakers like these ones, and the terrain was a concrete road.

Do you have a daily stretching regimen to work on all the muscles that tighten and shorten when sedentary, hamstrings, glutes, calves, hip flexors, piriformis etc? It may be worse in one leg due to an imbalance for example in your gait. Have you ever had your feet and gait assessed?

No, I do not have any daily stretching regimen. I was planning to add it when I started going back to the gym, but now I see that I should have done it way earlier.

Yes I had my feet assessed by my PT back in September 2019 who also suggested me to get foot pads like these, just modeled after my own feet.

Do you use heat or ice on the painful area? Have you tried an anti inflammatory gel? To manage inflammation from the overuse?

I used only ice on the area back when the problem first appeared using the RICE method.

I tried some OTC anti-inflammatory gels, but I did not feel any different after using them.

Can you contact your physio by email, phone, video?

Yes, I did that already, but she said she would prefer if she sees the problem in person over talking through the phone.

There’s a bunch of exercises and stretches to look into here
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/a-z-rehabilitation-exercises

And possible causes of pain behind knee here
https://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/common-knee-disorders/pain-back-knee

Got it! I'll look into those. I did not wish to start doing any stretches or exercises at home without first consulting my PT because I was worried that it might worsen the problem, but the more I research into this, the more it looks like that stretches and resting might help.

Thanks again for the info.

support