Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondroplasty with coblation  (Read 208 times)

Offline LeonF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondroplasty with coblation
« on: November 25, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »
History

I am 53 and have been cycling for 20 years. Five years I came off my MTB and bumped by knee. The knee was sore for a about a week and then came good. However six months later I started developing knee pain when cycling. Normally there would be no pain at the start but it would build up during the ride. I eventually stopped cycling and switched to running. Running was pain free, however I was not able to do significant cycling.

Over a period of five years I saw 2 GP's, 2 sports doctors, 2 OS's and four physios. This involved 4 MRI's, cortisone, shock therapy and loads of physio to no avail. 

The most common diagnosis was Quadriceps tendinitis, which quite frankly didn't fit the can run but cannot cycle evidence. The last MRI showed a fissure in the patella and the OS suggested coblation.

Day 1 (Day of Operation)
Had surgery at 8:30 am and walked out 11:30 am. Whilst the knee was a little stiff, there was no real pain to speak of. According to the report the OS performed significant chondroplasty with a coblation technique.

Day 2 (step count 2207)
Spent most of the day with the leg elevated. Knee was still stiff, still no pain and no painkillers. Can bend the knee to 90 degrees before mild discomfort starts, not sure if this is the wound or the joint.

Day 3 (step count 2305)
Spent most of the day with the leg elevated. Knee was still stiff, still no pain and no painkillers. Can bend the knee to 90 degrees before mild discomfort starts
Commenced home exercises. 10 reps of 6 exercises.

1. Lying knee bends
2. Thigh tightening
3. Heel lifts
4. Straight leg raise
5. Seated knee bends
6. Seated knee extensions.

Day 4 (step count 3695)
Started driving with no real discomfort. Still a bit stiff but no real pain to speak of. Took a short walk with by son to the beach.

Day 5 (step count 3728)
Spent most of the time sitting and watching TV with leg elevated.

Day 6 (step count 5789)
Went shopping with the wife and kids. Knee was a bit sore at the end of the day probably overdid it.

Day 7 (step count 5916)
Went back to work, seated all day in the office. Although had to walk from car park to work and back. Knee a little stiff at the end of the day.

Day 8 (step count 7826)
Knee was sore last night, I am overdoing it at the moment. Will back off on the next day or two.

to be continued......

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 11:55:02 AM by LeonF »