Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Sharp pain 6 weeks after quad repair  (Read 322 times)

Offline Nesp12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Sharp pain 6 weeks after quad repair
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »
Right quad rupture at the patella 8 weeks ago, surgery 6 weeks ago.  Started gentle PT 3 days ago, just ROM, and I'm up to 75 degrees.

I never had any pain after the first 2 weeks.  Then yesterday, mid day and doing nothing, I began feeling some sharp stabbing pains in the top middle of my kneecap under my scar, ankle a 4 or 5.  It comes on every 30 to 60 minutes and lasts maybe 5 or 10 minutes.   I laid off my PT exercises just in case.

I won't be able to talk to the doctor for a week or longer. Is sudden recurrence of this type of pain ok?  I'm so afraid of developing an infection or re tearing something.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Sharp pain 6 weeks after quad repair
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
Hi

Patience is required - Don`t push as you don`t want to rerupture, suggest that you keep your appointment - how did you sustain your injury - where do you live?

JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Nesp12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
Hi

Patience is required - Don`t push as you don`t want to rerupture, suggest that you keep your appointment - how did you sustain your injury - where do you live?

JohnK/Manchester UK

Thanks for your reply.  I'm in Virginia USA under isolation for fear of the virus.  I'm getting virtual PT which is a godsend. 

I got the injury slipping on wet tiles and falling on my bent right leg.  A 95% rupture.  About patience, you are right.  I probably overdid it trying to get to 90 degree ROM.  I'm at 80 if I push it but just a few extra degrees is hard.  I feel better today after backing off.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 10:19:30 PM »
A typical trauma injury - perhaps a little tip from exoerience - sleep with a cushion/pillow between your legs - takes the weight off the injured knee - don`t forget - ask questions

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support