Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can dislocate Medially and laterally - BRACE??????  (Read 1884 times)

Offline emma

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • My dogs got better knees than me!!!!
Can dislocate Medially and laterally - BRACE??????
« on: April 29, 2004, 03:31:17 PM »
Hi everyone  :)

M Patella's dislocate laterally but be told they can go medially does anyone here know of any brace's that can support the patellers but I can not where the braces with the wholes in them and struggle with anything to tight over the patella???

I find tubagrip fine but wondering if anyone knows of anything else......long shot in the dark I know!

Be great to hear from you all!! ;)

Emma xxx
Spontaneous dislocations to both kneecaps for 20 years!
Bilateral Arthroscopies - Awaiting Op's Right knee on 23/9/05
Left knee in Jan 06

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Can dislocate Medially and laterally - BRACE??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 06:09:29 PM »
Normally for lateral dislocation some sort of J support is used.  If you are able to dislocate both ways, I would suggest looking for something with a horseshoe patellar stabilizer.  You may still have some patellar mobility issues in it since you would not be able to add any tension to it.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline emma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 11:37:32 PM »
Hi ATsoccergirl

Thanks for the reply, the thing I have yet to find one like it... I used a brace for the first time, last time my kneecap dislocated and it was good, but not good for every day use, to big and bulky and the like span of it is not long.... 2 months and thats it.

If you know of a web site that would be great!

Anyways as I said long shot!!

Thanks again Emma :)
Left knee in Jan 06

Offline Maggi

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
    • Maggi Mc
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 04:28:34 PM »
Hi i am new to site, i am so pleased that someone else can dislocate medially. i have discolated this way for 44 years. I have just had a operation 7 weeks ago where the consulant tried to move it medially during the op, uncessfully. Anyway i had a lateral release, dibridment kneecap realined, and cartalidge repaired. 3 weeks ago it went medially  but only a little way,I went for my checkup and was told that it could not of done this, get on with life recommence physio and get back to work within 2 weeks. Some hope as i am still on crutches and have put the other knee out to prevent the operated one from twisting. i am so afraid of it happening again.
All i want is to get mobile again. Maggi
Medial dislocation of right knee for 44 years. OP performed, Patella re alignment, dibridment, plica removal, lateral release menisectomy. all in one go.

Offline emma

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 07:17:12 PM »
Hi Maggie

Welcome to the site hun!! :)

Sorry to hear that you've been suffering from this for so long.
I dislocate laterally, I can go medially but have not, but always live like it could...
Do yours go laterally aswell??
How are your legs so your suffer from any pain all over the legs??

Sorry to hear that you ahd another dislocation, and its horrid when your in recovery and the other one gives out on you... I've been there..I hope you have got people around to help and support you???

be great to hear from your soon

Emma
Left knee in Jan 06

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 05:49:29 PM »
I've been looking around, and this is what I came up with:
http://www.medco-athletics.com/List/product.asp?Leaf_Id=01790

Also, you can create the horseshoe support by removing and reshaping the donut pad on most patellar braces.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.