Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Screw Removal & Lateral Release  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Tammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Screw Removal & Lateral Release
« on: July 15, 2002, 11:57:51 PM »
Ok on Aug 2nd I am going in to have my screws taken out of my left knee, and a lateral release on my right knee.  Now if some of you have had screws taken out I would like to hear stories, because I heard that it is really sore and takes a long time for the holes in the bone to heal.  Which knee do you think will be worse, is it ok to put weight on the bone with the holes.  I kindof remember my LR on my right knee that was like 6 years ago and that was easy I was on cruches for like 2 days.  Just a little nervous about having a procedure on both knees at the same time  :o how about some reassurance!
Thanks
Tam
Left Knee, 2 scopes (97,98), 1 LR (6/98), 1 Fulkerson TTT (8/11/00), screw removal (8/9/02). Right Knee LR (8/9/2002)
Tammy

Offline LoriS.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Screw Removal & Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2002, 01:54:09 AM »
Hi Tammy!

I had my screws out and although my OS put me in an immobilizer and crutches I was pretty much able to walk on it and not much pain at all.  How long have your screws been in?  That will make a difference in how you recover from this. If they have been in a long time it will take some work to get them out and could be more painful! I can only speak from my experience though and it was a piece of cake!  
partial menisectomy 11/99; Fulkerson 8/2000; screw removal 4/01;  diagnosed RSD 3/02

Offline Tammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 04:18:32 PM »
The screws were put in 2 years ago.
Tammy
Left Knee, 2 scopes (97,98), 1 LR (6/98), 1 Fulkerson TTT (8/11/00), screw removal (8/9/02). Right Knee LR (8/9/2002)
Tammy

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 06:09:57 PM »
Tammy

Speaking as one who has had bilateral arthroscopies to do a partial medial menisectomy on my left knee, removal of the suprapatellar plica and removal of adhesions on my ACL and really just a good clean out and then just to have a look at the right knee.  I wish I could have just had the operation on the left knee and waited until the left knee was okay to take a bit of a pounding when I would need to put most of my weight on it whilst I had my right knee done.

It's very hard when both knees are in the same predicament, especially trying to get out of bed and in and out of chairs, especially car seats!!

I wish you all the best.

Can't you just have the screws taken out first and wait till that knee is better before going ahead with the LR on your right knee?

It's just a thought - I wouldn't want anyone to go through the pain I've had from just getting out of a seat!

Take care
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Tammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 06:44:49 PM »
My OS thinks it will be easier for me to have them done at the same time, plus I own my own company so taking time of from work is impossible and my husband and I are going to start trying to have a baby in Oct so I want to be off pain meds before that.
Tammy

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2002, 06:59:00 PM »
Tammy

I had my surgery done May 13th of this year and I still don't feel any better.  I live in a flat, so I don't have to use the stairs and I drive an automatic so I don't have to worry about changing gears or anything.

I have 9 surgeries so far and of those I've had LR the first one I had, I had to have my knee in an immobilizer for 8 weeks.  I wasn't allowed to bend it because my OS had put a couple of stitches in it to stop the patella from gliding back.  I then went through 6 months of rehabilitation.

I don't want to put you off having it done if your mind is set on having it done, but just wanted you to know how I thought about having both knees done now that I know what I know.

All the very best for your forthcoming surgery.

Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Offline Tammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2002, 09:01:43 PM »
Lizzi,
The LR I had on my right knee worked really well and put of my TTT for a few years and I lucked out my recovery was great, I was on cruches for like 2 days and no PT.  I did my excercises at home and walked a lot.  I am hoping that is how this one will go because I NEVER want to go through another TTT again!
Tammy

support