Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post microfracture surgery  (Read 1290 times)

Scorpiomom8

post microfracture surgery
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:59:05 PM »
I had microfracture surgery 11/10/2017 right lateral tibial plateau with grade 4 chondromalcia, osteocondral defect in medial femoral condyle and myxoid changes in the lateral meniscus. wasn't prepared for after surgery was very painful on crutches for 2 months since surgery i haven't been able to go back to work since my job is on my feet. had 4 injections to take out fluid and since surgery pain is only when i put weight on it i can't do cardio cause its painful and it seems i'm not really improving at all the swelling is still there and i've had physcial therapy also now my Dr wants to put another injection since i've had cortisone shots 4 times. I wasn't expecting this at all and wonder if anyone else has had a similar outcome. Seems like knee keeps filling up with fluid is this normal.

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: post microfracture surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »
Lol what a coincedence. Just earlier I typed there were not many new microfracture stories. I had a OD lesion in the NWB part of my medial femur condyl as well. Everything else in my knee looked nice tho.

Im sorry to read your recovery is not going well. Interesting that there is still swelling now it is over half a year later. I can immagine to try cortisone injections but after 4 times it is clearly no long term solution. I would worry about it possibly ruining the microfracture side? Did your OS do any diagnostics on the swelling or on your knee in general?

If i read it right you finished PT? Is it because it didnt help or for what reason if you want to tell? I think after 2 months of not being able to use your knee / leg and then a delayed recovery you might need long PT. So far my recovery is going well and I expect PT (twice a week) for about 3 months. And I am not even a sportive person.

I don't know how well your ROM is but when I was able to reach 110 the first advice I got was to go on the hometrainer (stationary bike). The movement is great to reduce swelling and stiffness. Start with no resistance and if possible slowly build it up.

I hope somebody replies with solution on the swelling since I don't think its normal and then you can finally continue recovery.

Scorpiomom8

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:09 PM »
No OS didnt do any diagnostics still i should clarify the draining of effusion and injections of cortisone i have been doing my pt at home after 3 months and plan on adding stationary bike just didnt expect to be out this long and ive noticed when i do walk its still painful. Im a major walker and this puts a damper on that

Offline Futknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 05:45:08 PM »
I'm new here, first post actually.  I plan on posting my microfracture story here shortly, but came across your post.  I had microfracture surgery on 10/31/18, I opted for the stem cell treatment at the same time.  I also had extreme pain post op.  I was on crutches for 7-8 weeks, and braced for another 8 weeks.  I had sever atrophy of the quad, and have been working to restore the muscle group. 

It's been 6 months, they left me on pain meds for nearly five months and I had enough of feeling groggy.  Now that I'm off, I've experienced a good bit of pain, and it doesn't appear there is any recourse.  I also was grade 4 chondro, it was focal in the trochlear notch. 

I cancelled my appointment this week as I was so frustrated; speaking with the PA, he said "Oh just take the max dosage of tylenol and rest" (like I wouldn't miss my liver).  I about lost it on him, "rest"?  What do you think I've been doing for nearly 6 months, and he says rest, when the Dr says exercise to build the quad. 

I'm honestly much worse off now than pre-op.  Sorry for the rant, I'm still coming down from being pissed.

futknee

Offline RGB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 10:44:09 PM »
Hi Futknees. How old are you? The reason I ask is that, in my non-medical opinion (formed from a sample space of one!), the only definitive solution for patellofemoral cartilage lesions is a PFJR. I also had microfracture and stem cell treatment to the trochlea groove. It was the start of a 7-8 year period of treatments that took time, money, effort and emotional energy, ending only two years ago with a PFJR. Try searching for posts by me and Dave33 - you'll get some idea of the journey. Good luck. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Offline Futknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:08:15 PM »
Hi Futknees. How old are you? The reason I ask is that, in my non-medical opinion (formed from a sample space of one!), the only definitive solution for patellofemoral cartilage lesions is a PFJR. I also had microfracture and stem cell treatment to the trochlea groove. It was the start of a 7-8 year period of treatments that took time, money, effort and emotional energy, ending only two years ago with a PFJR. Try searching for posts by me and Dave33 - you'll get some idea of the journey. Good luck. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

I'm 43.  I've been dealing with the issue for almost 9 years now.  I've gone through PRP, HA injections, to just steroid injections ever few months.  The ortho's that I've been to have been trying to get me to 50 before doing any replacement surgery.  The past six months, post surgery have been hell. 

I'll search your posts, thanks!

FK