Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Tips for preventing OA after medial partial meniscectomy  (Read 370 times)

Offline ibkite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tips for preventing OA after medial partial meniscectomy
« on: January 15, 2020, 08:56:48 AM »
 Hello Everybody  :),

i had two times trimmed my medial meniscus because of a horizontal tear, first tried PT for 6 month with no success. Then had my first surgery where he removed a flipped part about 15% of the medial meniscus the surgeon said.

After pain again I decidet for another surgery where the surgeon said he removed about 70% of the posterior horn. He did not do anything on the anterior horn, what means there should be about 65 % left of the medial meniscus in total.

Conclusion:
> 1/3 removed from the medial meniscus, lateral meniscus has no tear and should be healthy :)

Now a few days after the second surgery I regret the second surgery an think maybe I should have given it more time to get better but now it's to late.  :-[

So what can I do to prevent further damage to the remaining meniscus and to prevent OA.

I have a stationary bike at home, I will do PT. I take supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin, omega 3.

I will not do running anymore but I love snowboarding, surfing and kitesurfing (directional wave board, no jumping)

What do you think, do you have any suggestions for me??  :) :)

I am 41 now, the game started 13 month ago
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:01:01 AM by ibkite »

Offline ibkite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Tips for preventing OA after medial partial meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:01:37 AM »
Hello Everybody  :),

i had two times trimmed my medial meniscus because of a horizontal tear, first tried PT for 6 month with no success. Then had my first surgery where he removed a flipped part about 15% of the medial meniscus the surgeon said.

After pain again I decidet for another surgery where the surgeon said he removed about 70% of the posterior horn. He did not do anything on the anterior horn, what means there should be about 65 % left of the medial meniscus in total.

Conclusion:
> 1/3 removed from the medial meniscus, lateral meniscus has no tear and should be healthy :)

Now a few days after the second surgery I regret the second surgery and I think maybe I should have given it more time to get better but now it's to late.  :-[

So what can I do to prevent further damage to the remaining meniscus and to prevent OA.

I have a stationary bike at home, I will do PT. I take supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin, omega 3.

I will not do running anymore but I love snowboarding, surfing and kitesurfing (directional wave board, no jumping)

What do you think, do you have any suggestions for me??  :) :)

I am 41 now, the game started 13 month ago

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 11:57:19 AM »
Whatís the current state of the articular cartilage? Whatís the state of the meniscus, presumably degenerate given the surgeon trimmed rather than tried to stitch? I understand that degenerate meniscus goes had in hand with arthritic changes even if early.

How is the alignment of the femur and tibia (bow legged, knock kneed, normal)? Have you had your muscle balance and gait assessed by a physio? Checked you donít need orthotics to normalise your feet if the pronation is out? A brace perhaps for snow boarding to protect the knee.

The best things for healthy knees: being the correct weight, mixture of weight bearing (walking not just running, in good supportive footwear, not flip flops :)) and non weight bearing (eg swimming, cycling on a correctly set up bike, donít grind against resistance), keep muscles balanced and core strong (yoga, pilates, balanced resistance/strength stuff). You need to work on resetting the biomechanics and balance in the knee which have been messed up by removing meniscus. Stopping running is sensible.

Make sure you get enough vitamin D and calcium too. Thereís no overwhelming evidence that supplements help but worth trying.

Good luck, unfortunately it does seem almost inevitable that some arthritis will develop after menisectomy or injury to knee (and indeed to us all as we age).  My knee is on the way to being trashed 10 years after lateral menisectomy and cartilage injury
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline ibkite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:23:03 PM »
The surgeon said he cannot stich it together. The MRT says no change on bones, also the surgeon said I have no other damage. I have light bow legs but not worth to perform osteotomy. He have me insoles.

Thanks for your fast reply. :-)

Offline ibkite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
What knee brace for snowboarding do you recommend, a unloader brace or a normal one?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:09:19 PM »
Get advise from a physio who has snow sports knowledge (I know nothing). An unloader is designed for existing alignment issues, so if boe legged maybe. What country are you in? Can you make an appointment with a Donjoy agent (check the website for your country)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline ibkite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 07:20:42 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a real difference between lateral wedge insoles vs. an unloader knee brace such as a Townsend Rebel Reliever for doing sports to prevent further damage to the medial compartment??

Offline LRVT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 02:43:34 AM »
Hi--a few weeks out are you still regretting that 2nd surgery? i am contemplating a 2nd one myself following an unsuccessful repair (lateral done in Oct '19) and perhaps additional tearing post op.  How is the current pain?

support