Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Any tips for progressing to FWB please  (Read 184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ladyduran

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Liked: 1
Any tips for progressing to FWB please
« on: January 12, 2020, 03:50:31 PM »
After 6 weeks non weight bearing since my microfracture the surgeon says I can go to fully weight wearing with no restrictions. He says I can start putting as much weight as I can manage. My ankle on my non surgical leg is hurting today

Obviously I can't just put my full weight down. Is there a good way of progressing to FWB? How long should I use my crutches for and how long is it normally before proper walking again?

Any hints/tips appreciated.

Offline Celina1989

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 86
  • Liked: 2
Re: Any tips for progressing to FWB please
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 04:12:38 PM »
Hi Ladyduran,

You are making nice progress. I would advice you to continue to FWB in steps.
I think the most important is to make the move the right way. Maybe even start with some toe touch weight baring to just get the right gait. If you would learn yourself to walk the wrong way it is really hard to unlearn it.

Once gait is right continue to try 25% of your weight on it, then 50% and if that is working either continue to 75% or 100%. I would say try the steps for about a day and if no issues continue on to the next. Although often it is with weeks I can immagine you want to be more weight baring sooner (if possible). Your body should let you know what is possible.

Also start with small walks, like indoors. I remember I was able to walk crutch-free in the house about 3 weeks before I was crutch-free outside.

Im no expert but got some experienced and researched into different recovery protocols. So you could also ask your PT for advise if you are struggling.

On your other question. The more you use the knee the faster the cartilage will break down. It might also depend on location (and luck). Before my injury I had an active job but I am now back to uni (well taking a break for new surgery now) to be able to have a deskjob later on...


Offline ladyduran

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Liked: 1
Re: Any tips for progressing to FWB please
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
Thanks Celina for your advice. I am guessing it is going to be for the best if i change jobs to office work. My job i think will lessen the lifespan of the surgery due to the amount of kneeling on a hard surface, lifting, bending and sitting in a cramped till area. Shame as i do enjoy my job and work with some lovely people.

Offline Celina1989

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 86
  • Liked: 2
Re: Any tips for progressing to FWB please
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
I know the feeling. Was loving my nursing job and had great colleauges as well. But I now already know I made the best choice. I wouldn't be able to do the job for about a year now.

I hope you will do well on going to FWB. If any questions I will try to help you.















support