Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone about to have knee surgery?  (Read 266 times)

Offline jomann75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Anyone about to have knee surgery?
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:03:36 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently at the 5 week post op timeline after OATS knee surgery. Almost 12 months ago I also had an arthroscopy on the same knee where a microfracture was performed (which didn't work, thus the second op). No matter what the operation, recovering from knee surgery is hard work and requires significant adaptation to your life/routine etc.

On that basis I thought I'd share a couple of things I've used during after my second operation that I wish I'd used after my first. Both have been absolutely god-sends and I'd 100% recommend getting them.

1. Flexivity Crutch Grip Pads - from Amazon, these gel pads fit the crutch handles perfectly and prevent the build up of both hard skin or blisters on your hands. I've used them since day one after the second op, and after 5 weeks I can barely notice any hard skin on my hands. They were 20 for the pair.

2. 66fit Knee cold compression cuff - again from Amazon, this has been superb for those regular knee elevations in order to reduce swelling. After my first op I used the standard bag of frozen peas, which weren't great. This compression cuff fits perfectly around the knee and has a detachable gel pack that provides a brilliant way to ice the knee as and when required - this was approx 35.

I have to say that both of the above have significantly helped in recovery so far, even though there is a long way to go. I hope these recommendations prove useful to those about to embark on the knee surgery journey.........good luck!
Jan 2019 - arthroscopy/microfracture for 10mm lesion on femoral condyle

Dec 2019 - OATS surgery in same area as microfracture failed

support