Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 4 months after partial menisectomy still aggravated..normal?  (Read 103 times)

Offline Mak361

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
4 months after partial menisectomy still aggravated..normal?
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:33:21 PM »
Had partial medial menisectomy 3rd sept....followed everything physio has recommended to a T....started me back running at start of december (treadmill only) after having done a good period of strengthening .....I am up to 3.5 miles at a much slower pace than I had been used to ....during the run and immediately after knee feels good .....but by next day I'm getting a really aggravated discomfort feeling in upper calf medial knee and vmo has a tingling sensation at times that takes around 3 to 4 days to settle .....as I'm now 17 weeks post op I'm wondering is this normal ....what have others experienced? I'm only running twice per week adding a half mile to distance per week

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 379
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 4 months after partial menisectomy still aggravated..normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 09:47:55 PM »
I'd say it's normal to need 6-12 months to get close to normal after any knee op.  What does the physio say?
Assume you are warming up properly before running and stretching and even icing/heating after

Have you had your running gait and footwear reassessed since the Op, menisectomy changes the biomechanics in the knee, shock absorption removed / removed, so you should not assume your gait is the same, may need different trainers / orthotics to compensate. 

Does the physio give you any hands on massage during sessions, or have you had a massage therapist check your hips, lower back, legs for tightness

Discuss with physio perhaps

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline RGB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
Re: 4 months after partial menisectomy still aggravated..normal?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 04:25:09 AM »
From what I understand (having had one of these myself) some people just can't run again on a regular basis. I had other issues so I can't give a 'clean' report of my own experience but my guess is that, even if you can run, doing so will increase the risk of tibio-femoral arthritis to an unacceptable level. I don't know your age but the consequences of this are worse the younger you are - so you should think seriously about finding another form of exercise. Of course your surgeon/physio both know a lot more than I do so that's who I'd ask.

support